Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Goodness gracious..... ambitious quilting = LOTS of time. >

Goodness gracious..... ambitious quilting = LOTS of time.

Goodness gracious..... ambitious quilting = LOTS of time.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:50 PM

I love to long arm quilt and find that sometimes what I want to do is VERY time consuming. Which is fine on my own quilts, but I still struggle to find that happy medium with customer quilts at times. (another good reason to really discuss with a customer what is wanted, etc).

I have gotten quicker with time and really encourage you to look for larger shows that may offer some classes--I've taken several and each one I learn something that is a time saver or helps my skills. also--check to see if any machine quilting guilds any where near--I've joined one and it's so great to have a forum to bounce some ideas off, plus we bring in a teacher for each quarterly meeting.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:10 AM

I don't have a LA... yet... but am so excited about the classes I am taking at MQX in Manchester, NH next week. I attended last year for the first time and got totally hooked. Last year I took Leah Day's class Free Motion Fillers and we used Janome 8900 DSM

this year both of my full day classes are on longarms... Compositional Quilting and Feather Basics
I think one class provides Innova and the other Handiquilter. I rent an APQS at a LQS so it will be interesting to work on other machines.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:17 AM

I think I am over ambitious with most of my quilts LOL I seem to be attracted to applique because I like details, and being slow and methodical in both piecing and quilting, makes the process even longer. I have a sit down mid-arm so am still moving the quilt, but doing an over all design gets boring to do, so I tend to use fillers and custom quilt them when I feel I am capable of executing.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations, you are one lucky quilter. I'm amazed that you've managed to quilt 10 quilt tops that had been waiting for your LA. Wishing you and your new LA many happy quilts together.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:26 PM

Yep...I have a TL18LS (2009) with a Qbot V3 added. I love my Lizzie! I will look through designs for hours...all day sometimes...looking for just the right one...then end up freehand quilting the quilt in question. I quilt some for the public...and always want to do special designs if I can.

I love the TL18 companies machines...they are really great machines.

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl View Post
Well... I finally took the plunge and bought a LA (TinLizzie Apprentice). I am absolutely loving the machine. I have had to learn to use it with no training.... so lots of trial and error. I initially loaded a "play" quilt sandwich consisting of a dark sheet cut in half with batting. I played on the whole sandwich..... getting to know my new toy.

FYI.... I have about 10 quilt tops done that have been waiting on me to finish. I tried quilting on my domestic machines and even bought one with an 11 inch throat... it just is not for me. I truly admire folks who do quilt on their domestic machines.

The first "real" quilt top I loaded was one that I have had completed for about 3 years. The name of it is "Summer at Mom's". It is for my Mom. I attempted to finish it for her 80th birthday (March 10); however, my over ambitious nature decided to custom quilt the entire thing (queen size). Oh my.... Oh my. I am loving how it is looking thus far..... But....it is taking me forever!!!!!!! I will post pics when I get it done.

I know one thing, my next quilt will be E2E quilting. lol

Just wondering, are there others like me who are over zealous with creativity??
Old 03-28-2016, 12:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. You are encouraging and inspiring! ;-)
Old 03-28-2016, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Since I don't quilt for hire, I can take as much time as I like. I love to do custom quilting, so I've done very few quilts that were totally E2E. If I want something done quickly, I'll often use a large fill for the center of the quilt, but do a custom border, or maybe pick out 1 or 2 repeating blocks custom quilt those, then do a fill on the rest. Here's an example. I did feathers in the medium blue, but then just stippled the rest of the quilt:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]546170[/ATTACH]

The other thing is as you quilt more, you will get faster (and better!).

That is gorgeous quilting PaperPrincess!
Old 03-28-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
Congratulations, you are one lucky quilter. I'm amazed that you've managed to quilt 10 quilt tops that had been waiting for your LA. Wishing you and your new LA many happy quilts together.
MargeD: These are quilt tops that I completed in the past 4 years.... but have not got them quilted. This post is where I am tackling the first of those "unfinished" quilts. So... I have my work cut out for me for the next several months! lol