Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got money, going to Paducah, want rulers - what kind? >

Got money, going to Paducah, want rulers - what kind?

Got money, going to Paducah, want rulers - what kind?

Old 04-21-2011, 12:07 PM

I've got my pocketbook ready and one of the things that I will be specifically looking for is a SET of rulers. I've been looking at the rules at my LQS and for the most part they all offer rules of different sizes by different manufacturers and one of the things I noted some ladies have said on this board was if possible ... all rulers used should be by the same manufacturer.

So ... in a perfect world and you set out to buy a full set of rulers ... what would you buy? Manufacturer and type (ie 6 1/2 Square and 6" x 24" rectangle, etc).

I'm hoping I can see/touch/and possibly try in Paducah rather than buying them online then being disappointed when they arrive.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Google Goddess

Have fun in Paducah
Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 PM

I love the omnigrid brand..... I have problems seeing some markings..... I prefer the 4.5,6.5, etc or so.... that way I end up with a basic , whole # for finished block sz
Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I like Creative Grids rulers. There is a ruler for every shape or cut you need and all from one manufacturer. Most all quilt shops have them and they are easy to find online.

I am excited to be going to Paducah. I watched the blogs and newsletters for free stuff at the show. I got a free admission ticket to the show, one 30% and one 25% off coupons for Quilt in a Day store, and many coupons to pick up free gifts by visiting various vendor booths. If you renew or get a new subscription to AQS magazine at the show you will get a free gift. This year it's a sliding quilt calculator selling for $13. Vendors aren't allowed to have but one show special price for one item so lots give out coupons for sample or free gift so you will visit their booth.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Browse around and look at them all... it is a personal preference to many of us :D:D:D
Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 PM
MTS
Banned

Honestly, for any of the standard rulers, I would think you'd get a better deal at Joann's - either on sale or with a coupon. I doubt you'll find a better deal at any of the vendors.

That said, there will be all kinds of specialty rulers that Joann's doesn't carry (or didn't that I was aware of).

I think the Creative Grids(?) rulers are the ones that are ONLY sold at LQS's. So if you see something they have that isn't at Joann's, then get it.

You don't mention if you're just starting a collection - at which point I'd definitely recommend going the Joann's route, or to just wanting to replace or add to what you already have.

Also, if you have any kind of vision problem, you should check out which one is best for you. For me, it didn't matter.

I have a scores of rulers from all the companies - CG, Omni, Olfa, some of those green ones.

Your money might be better spent on some weird outside-the-box ruler - like a wavy ruler, or a great set of 10 pc nesting circles or ovals (I scored those in Houston one year and love them - I've rarely seen them again).

I also bought the Louisa Smith set at Houston on year - I was never going to see those at Joann's. I picked up the additional sets at a LQS when they came out.

Also, if you need specific custom sizes, there's always Lowe's or Home depot (or you local lucite/glass store).

I'd rather spend the money on rulers like that than something I know I can get 1/2 price at Joann's.

It's not that I never buy a Creative Grids ruler - I'm looking over and am amazed at how many I have. If they come out with a new size that no one else has, then I'd buy it (like the 8 x 24. or the 8x12 or the 20square) - I got those when they were first introduced at a LQS. But now they ARE available at Joann's. So take advantage of it.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 PM

I have rulers from 4 different brands, and I lined them up side by side, and they are all exactly in agreement about the length of an inch. They also line up perfectly with my Olfa cutting mats. The advice to buy all the same brand may have originated with one of the earlier companies hoping to discourage us from buying competitor's stuff. Or maybe there are some quilters out there who are OCD enough that they're using microscopes to check for accuracy. I'll admit I'm not one of them. One word of caution: If rulers are different thicknesses, when you look at them from an angle, there may be a tendency to see the lines differently because the light is distorted, sort of like looking through a glass measuring cup at an angle.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Amma.
Have fun!!!!!!!!!! :D:D
Old 04-21-2011, 03:37 PM

BellaBoo I'm on my way to Paducah and wondering how you get coupons for the vendor booths free stuff? I am an AQS member already so won't qualify for their quilt calculator.
Sandy
Old 04-21-2011, 03:45 PM

I also like omnigrid rulers. For a single ruler, I would get the tube ruler. I also like the cuttingEDGE rulers. Hope you have tons of fun!! I wish I could go!!!

Cheers!
Rachel