Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmas Flower Garden blocks and glue? >

Grandmas Flower Garden blocks and glue?

Grandmas Flower Garden blocks and glue?

Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 PM

I press all the edges, then use elmers school glue to glue them to the backing square. I hand stitch them down while watching TV in the evenings since I don't want my stitches to show. When the quilting and binding is done, I wash it alone in a large loading machine with high water level so the glue comes out, to remove the glue. Works for me.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:55 PM

Are you sewing them on by machine or by hand? I really like the glue sticks. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Sulky 2000K spray adhesive, it works great when doing my appliqué on my embroidery machine. But it has a very short adhesive life. (They tell you this on the can.) Otherwise I would recommend using appliqué pins. They are short and don't get in the way.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:25 PM

I've started this suggestion twice and abandoned it because I couldn't seem to describe it adequately without photos or illustrations. I hope this works.

Take your GFG "squares" and draw a pattern around the edges. Use newspaper or whatever to make the pattern with. Cut it out and then cut in 1/2. Then, "hollow" it out, leaving about and inch and a half around the edges. Now, you'll have to add a seam allowance to the edge. So, what you have at this point is a crescent shape that matches the edge of your "square". This will be your pattern for light fusible.

Given it's shape, you should be able to cut multiple crescents from a small amount of fusible. Sew two pieces together to form a circle. Sew this onto the front of your GFG "squares". Turn it and it's ready to fuse to your background fabric.

I bought a Dresden plate quilt kit at an estate sale last year. This is how I intend to give it a turned edge and hold it until I get it blanket stitched to the background.

If it doesn't make sense, let me know.

bkay
Old 02-15-2017, 07:13 PM

i just use elmer's school glue to hold my flowers down then either machine/hand applique them down. it does cause spots but they will come out when you wash the quilt in warm water. elmers is the bomb.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:26 PM

Can anyone tell me what to use for a permanent sticking for an applique?
Old 02-16-2017, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I have started to use only Misty Fuse for all applique. It is wonderful, like a mist of holding power. Give that a try.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:56 AM

Thanks bkay. I have thought of this and understand your post. Will do this as I experimented with glues and had no success. I diluted the Elmers washable glue with 4 parts water and 1 part glue, used a very fine tip and minimum amount and it still was difficult to wash out. Friend said she soaks hers in the washer overnight in hot water, then runs it through on heavy duty washing. I am afraid my blocks are too old and fragile for that!
Old 02-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I've never had Elmer's be hard to wash out. I wash on delicate cycle with warm water and a Tide pod and it all comes out in the first wash.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:59 PM

i've never had trouble washing out elmers. but I do think warm/hot water is necessary.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:04 PM

Let me know how it works. (That Dresden plate is waiting for me.)

bkay