Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grandmas flower garden quilt >

grandmas flower garden quilt

grandmas flower garden quilt

Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Default grandmas flower garden quilt

I am stumped.... I am working on my first grandmas flower garden quilt and wanting to leave the jagged edges when completed. I am unsure how to go about it though. Looking at it now there is a big gap (if makes sense). I am so lost on how to finish the edges the way I see some completed with the jagged edges. Has anyone completed one with a puc or somethings to guide me in right direction?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

I have not completed one- still working on it But are you talking about the hexagons that don't finish with a smooth edge ? Can't you just press them really well before popping out the papers, that way they keep there shape - it you are doing a binding it might get tedious up and down or are you doing the birthing method - which might be easier just sewing around the edges
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM

I am unsure what the birthing method is. I am referring to the ones that dont complete smooth edges. Im looking at mine and none of them make smooth edge unless I add the half flower units or half hexagons. Guess im more lost then I thought lol.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Power Poster

Use a facing instead of a binding. Here's one video showing how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPe_84GBfY
Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 PM

I have seen some GFG quilts that the maker finished by tucking in the raw edges of the front and back and overcast them with hand stitches. I lot of old West Virginia quilts were finished this way--folded in and overcast.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM

I have a vintage one from the 1930's that has a bias binding that follows the curves. It was applied to the front by machine and hand sewn to the back. The sides have the little scallops, each going around two sides of a hexagon, and the top and bottom follow the larger hills and valleys around the flowers, as well as the small curves around the hexies.

Birthing is done before quilting. It involves sewing the back to the front, right sides facing, and leaving a large enough opening to turn it right side out. Then the opening would be closed by hand. It seems to me that each corner would have to be carefully trimmed and clipped or it will not turn neatly, and it will be tricky to iron it down well, so of course a lot of hand work would be involved in getting it to lie properly. I would worry about pitfalls trying to get it on straight and flat. I've used this method only on a miniature quilt that had straight sides. It has prairie points, and that's the only way I know to use with them. In other words, IMO, it's not the best way to go if you can avoid it, but maybe others have had more experience with it.