Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not? >

grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not?

grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not?

Old 04-11-2014, 05:03 AM

Default grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not?

I have decided that I am going to try a grandmas flower garden quilt (or whatever the hexagon block quilts are called). I have read that you should paper piece to make one of these... but then I have seen several you tube videos where they do not paper piece and it works fine. I have never paper pieced and I am wondering what you guys think. (I don't fully understand the "why" of paper piecing anyway) Can I do the hexagon blocks without paper piecing.. the internet videos make it look like I can
Old 04-11-2014, 05:31 AM

You do not have to paper piece the hexagons. Sew those hexagons using the method that works best for you
Old 04-11-2014, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I made a GFG using the flexible rubber plastic hexagons called "Quilt Patis". Since they are expensive compared to paper, I started to make my own. They are so much easier because you don't have the paper to remove at the end of piecing the top. They just pop out easily, but you have to have the connecting hexagons attached to all 6 sides.
Attached Thumbnails grandmothers-flower-garden-mini.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 05:42 AM

I think because it was originally done English paper pieced...correct me if I am wrong on that. There are now several ways to do it hand pieced or even machine pieced. I have done one using freezer paper and then hand working, but I have recently seen a machine method that I am going to try...maybe just a tablerunner this time. In my lifetime only one GFG...to many other patterns to try....it was great as a take along to anywhere project, but it did take over a yr to finish piecing..that was a challenge to myself.....
Old 04-11-2014, 05:44 AM

Thank you for your replies... your quilt is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. I am excited to get started. This weekend I am going to makes some of the flowers from scrap material to get the hang of it
Old 04-11-2014, 05:50 AM

just lovely.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Just try a few and see what works best for you.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:52 AM

I am making a scrappy EPP quilt and I went to Joann's and bought the large Fiskar Hexagon paper punch (found in the scrap booking section). I used a coupon and it was less than $9. It makes a 1" hexagon. I make the hexies out of card stock so they aren't as flimsy as regular paper. I sew a bunch together and then remove the card stock and use it again. I use 2 1/2" squares

It is really relaxing to make the Hexies. I started mine back in October because we were preparing to move out of state and I had to pack up my sewing room. I keep mine by my side of the couch and work on it while watching tv.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
You do not have to paper piece the hexagons. Sew those hexagons using the method that works best for you
Is there a way to machine-piece it without Y-seams, other than cutting the hexagons in half? Just curious.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 04-11-2014, 05:55 AM

oh, I absolutely love that!