Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not? >

grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not?

grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 PM

yes there is a way to machine-piece it. If you can find the book Quilting From The Heartland by Sharlene Jorgenson she has a great way to do these. I have not made a GFG quilt yet but I have used her way to set other blocks together and it is a great way. I got my SIL this book and se made one.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:51 PM

But if you use the machine wouldn't that be defeating the purpose of a 'hand quilting' project that you could take with you? I started an English Paper Pieced GFG and got it approximately 3' square/oval and my left hand gave out on me. I broke my wrist 2 years ago and while I still had the cast on I finished embroidering a baby quilt. The result was a numb finger & thumb from rubbing against my cast for a long time. Now it just hurts when I grip the hexies long enough to hand sew. I un-sewed all of them and will applique them to squares & make it into a quilt that way.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
But if you use the machine wouldn't that be defeating the purpose of a 'hand quilting' project that you could take with you? I started an English Paper Pieced GFG and got it approximately 3' square/oval and my left hand gave out on me. I broke my wrist 2 years ago and while I still had the cast on I finished embroidering a baby quilt. The result was a numb finger & thumb from rubbing against my cast for a long time. Now it just hurts when I grip the hexies long enough to hand sew. I un-sewed all of them and will applique them to squares & make it into a quilt that way.
I feel your pain, literally. Years ago i damaged a tendon in my thumb and now i have have problems with grip and feeling. Sometimes i have a lot of pain in my wrist. It can be difficult any time i have to hold something firm with my left hand. I have to be careful when i hold cups and plates, sometimes i just drop things. Ooops lol

Pinning my blocks together is tough and i worry that hand sewing won't be easy. I think i will start with a place mat or table runner.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Just dug out the box of hexies I picked up last year and my GO to cut the papers.....watched all the you tubes suggested...machine and EPP....really like sue Daley. May look into her further.....question has anyone done the clamshells...hmmm another challenge....