Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not? >

grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not?

grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not?

Old 04-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

I made a beautiful one for my kitty Zoey 55 x 65 made in 3/4" hexes. she loves it and looks great on all the bright colors.I used EPP to do mine
Old 04-12-2014, 09:19 PM

My very first quilt was a GFG that a darling elderly neighbor taught me as I recovered from a CVA. I made it all by hand, with nothing but a pen, needle, fabric, one template, and an old pair of lousy scissors. She was afraid I would not be able sew if I did not get right back into it. Bless her heart, she is gone now, but her loving gesture continues to live on in me. I only made it big enough to cover a small round table but man was I proud of my results. Thank you for the walk down memory lane. Lol!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:19 PM

Here's yet another You-Tube demo of machine-sewing hexagons, and easier even than the first two. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihEac0jRvsU
Instead of having to start and end exactly 1/4" in from the fabric edge you just sew the seam normally, then take out a couple stitches after the second seam locks the first one down. This has me wanting to try some hexies!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 AM

I have made two grandmother flower quilts without paper piecing. On Quilting Arts TV on PBS there was a demo on Quick and Easy Hexagons. It is program 1308 at quiltingarts.com the TV section. You make the Hexagons by folding fabric.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:47 AM

I buy my hexagon papered products from a place called www.paperpieces.com. Check out their site....they have every paper shape imaginable and, to me, it sure hastens the project. Also, I use Becky Goldsmith' s ( from "www.pieceocake.com website) glue stick called, "Sewline". You simply put a dab of glue on one edge of the hexagon and fold fabric over, then do the same thing to the next edge and fold over until you get all the way around. When you're ready to remove the papers they pop out easily. This makes it so easy to do the little 1/2" hexies should you choose to use them. I do admire those who cut out hundreds of the paper hexagon papers by hand and then baste all the fabric on but, for me, it takes forever to piece all the little hexies together for a GFG quilt and I'm all for short cuts.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 AM

As stated, there are several ways to create these wonderful masterpieces. All pictured are just beautiful. I made a queen size this year and now waiting to get my longarm to quilt it. I used stencil plastic and cut all my hexies. I punched a hole in the middle and when finished, you just pop them out with a crochet hook. I leave them in while hand stitching as they remain stiff enough to fit to each other. Then I pop them out after creating a few rows past each circle. I enjoy it as a portable project and while watching TV. DH made me a plexiglass template to cut out my hexies. I cut strips of fabric then rotary cut my template. I also working on a large hexie quilt that is a half hexie and sewn in columns. Each completed hexie, will have a machine quilted circle design. Accuquilt also has a die that you can use. You have to find your comfort level with this project as it is time consuming and not for the instant gratification individual. My queen size took me about 6 months working on it most days. My friend is fussy cutting each hexie and she is not having a pleasant time creating this quilt.
Attached Thumbnails grandmothers.flower.quilt..hand.2.jpg  
Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 AM

you can get free paper pieces printed out at "incompetech.com"
Old 04-13-2014, 08:44 AM

That is sooo pretty. Thanks for showing it.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:55 AM

Gorgeous!!! Love it.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:28 AM

I am another that uses Inklingo to print the pattern directly on the fabric. Cutting and stitching lines are printed on the fabric so you can machine piece or piece by hand.