Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not? >

grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not?

grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not?

Old 04-12-2014, 03:40 AM

Nancy Zieman has a method that uses half hexagons, so you can machine piece the whole quilt without any Y seams. I didn't save the link but I'm sure you could find it online. I have done the English paper piecing and the freezer paper method and may try the Nancy Zieman method sometime.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:43 AM

auntpiggylpn, you are so clever! I would have never thought to get a scrapbooking punch for the hexies. That's perfect. Since scrapbooking was my former craft, (yes, I have hoarded all that other stuff and it waits for quilting to end) I'll be sure to grab one of those punches with a coupon. I have been looking for a hand project, this may be it. Everyone's quilts are so beautiful. A friend just completed one, it took her two years. That's alot of piecing.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I am making a scrappy EPP quilt and I went to Joann's and bought the large Fiskar Hexagon paper punch (found in the scrap booking section). I used a coupon and it was less than $9. It makes a 1" hexagon. I make the hexies out of card stock so they aren't as flimsy as regular paper. I sew a bunch together and then remove the card stock and use it again. I use 2 1/2" squares

It is really relaxing to make the Hexies. I started mine back in October because we were preparing to move out of state and I had to pack up my sewing room. I keep mine by my side of the couch and work on it while watching tv.
Now that is a lot of hexies and I thought I had a bunch! If we put all of ours together we could make a quilt top that would cover Mile High stadium.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:53 AM

Just read two articles on machine piecing hexies and it sounds like if you take your time it can be quicker, but that is one of the things I love about hexies is that you can hand sew them while you watch TV or whatever and it is a calming feeling to see them take shape. PP is great for many things, but hexies sure don't need to be PP. Just my opinion.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:08 AM
GG

It is very good for my mind I have my blocks made and now getting ready to add a row with a perwinkle blue to make the blocks into a top I have done paper piecing to be able for it to all be done by hand .I still hand quilt and this is going to be great when finished.I also belong to a swap group where we make 2 flowers a month .Just what you like the sewing machine with this one would have my health in knots.enjoy what you make.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:26 AM

Hexis aren't paper pieced, but I love paper piecing. It is most used for very small patterns because you can sew tiny pieces in. Give it a shot sometime. I think you will love it.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:34 AM

Betty, when you are handsewing them, what size stitch do you use? I think I could do this if I had paper in them, which would make them stiffer and less likely that I would use a death grip on the needle. My thumbs are easily riled up.

thanks,
Charlotte
Old 04-12-2014, 05:17 AM

Check out Inklingo.com I found the site a few weeks ago. I think the method is best thing "since sliced bread" Print on fabric. Much faster than EPP. there is a free download for a 4.5 in. Lemoyne star. All you need is an inkjet printer to try it.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:35 AM

When I first tryed paper piecing I was surprised how much I loved the whole process. I would sugest that you give it a try. If you don't like it try something else.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:43 AM

I decided on what size my hexi's should be, and a lay out of colors. Cut out lots of hexi's. A center, then 6, then 12 for the design. Over the next few winters I would sew them together by hand in the evenings. Occasionally, sew them together to make the quilt top and put it away. Hand sew some more.

Then one day I got it out to look at my progress. It is so bog.... bigger than a king size blanket. Now I need to take it apart and down size a bit. What was I thinking?????

Now I am doing the borders. I cut out my shapes. background hexi color and diamond shapes in all the fabrics. Even when I figure out how much to to down size this project it is a trip around the world.

One day, it will be finished.