View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Rose_P

I have a vintage one from the 1930's that has a bias binding that follows the curves. It was applied to the front by machine and hand sewn to the back. The sides have the little scallops, each going around two sides of a hexagon, and the top and bottom follow the larger hills and valleys around the flowers, as well as the small curves around the hexies.

Birthing is done before quilting. It involves sewing the back to the front, right sides facing, and leaving a large enough opening to turn it right side out. Then the opening would be closed by hand. It seems to me that each corner would have to be carefully trimmed and clipped or it will not turn neatly, and it will be tricky to iron it down well, so of course a lot of hand work would be involved in getting it to lie properly. I would worry about pitfalls trying to get it on straight and flat. I've used this method only on a miniature quilt that had straight sides. It has prairie points, and that's the only way I know to use with them. In other words, IMO, it's not the best way to go if you can avoid it, but maybe others have had more experience with it.