Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grandmothers flower garden (hexies) >

grandmothers flower garden (hexies)

grandmothers flower garden (hexies)

Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 AM

dakotamaid I really like yours, I not sure yet how I plan to do mine...but it will definitely be scrappy.. I will keep looking for other pictures. I am sure that this will take me a very long time, but that is ok... :-)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by stitchingcrazy View Post
Yes I have but I have not finished the border yet because I am scared!!! I started out to do a cushion/pillow, and it grew and grew into a king sized quilt top. My husband loves it and funnily enough so do I. I never thought I would do one. I used random colours from my scrap bag. I will post a picture soon. I plan doing an applique vine on a plain calico border, but I do not know how to attach the border to the quilt yet. Any thoughts would be much appreciated from those with experience. I think I will have to do the applique first on the border first due to the size of the main body of the quilt then attach it when completed. I have made miniature flowers ready for the vine.
Check out QUILTING ON THE GO by Jessica Alexandrakis. Her book has multiple methods for applying borders to hand-pieced quilts. I'm hooked on 60degree diamond stars and have pieced 2 queen sized quilts and am working on the 3rd.
I ordered the book online when it came out, but I have since seen it at JoAnn's. You also might enjoy her blog, Life Under Quilts.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:38 AM

I am working on one now. But I have to say, I am not making 1 inch blocks. My hexies are 4" across. each flower has the same color hexies, golden center, and white on white path. I intend to put half exxies to square up the edges and a vine of flowers on the border. This is becoming one of my favorites "on the road" quilts
Old 07-17-2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by pamesue View Post
has anyone ever made a scrappy grandmothers flower garden quilt? I an cutting hexies and planning to sew by hand and would love to see what you guys done.
Funny just yesterday I was looking for something and remembered seeing this picture...My DIL now has this quilt...one of the first I made in a time when I could quilt by hand..really enjoyed making it...
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

My grandma's hexi ... over 50 years old!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 04:19 AM

I am fascinated by hexies and have made several, all done with English paper piecing technique. Here are just two of them. One is a charm quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483655[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]483656[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 04:26 AM

yep, Imade a queen size using English Paper pcing method. then I hand quilted it. (no picture) My DD has it now Took me a loooooooong time to finish it. But I could take it with me to work on in the car etc.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:32 AM

I made a grandmother's flower garden quilt, too. I think they are the quilt you have to make to say you are a quilter. So, I made plastic hexis from template plastic and did this one by hand. I understand the frustration of what to do for a border. I wasn't skilled enough to do an edge around the hexis at the time. So, I appliqued the edge to a straight piece of fabric and then appliqued some flowers made from hexis on all sides. I do love my quilt. So, I can hardly wait to see yours finished. They certainly make you appreciate the work our grandmas and aunts did so many years ago.
Attached Thumbnails grandmothers-flower-garden-1.jpg   grandmothers-flower-garden.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 04:49 AM

nana-up- north
Love this quilt. The appliqué is perfect as a finish.I agree about quilting as being better than "therapy"
Old 07-17-2014, 06:37 AM

I've started one, but very early into it, I saw a fellow quilter at a "social gathering" working on one BUT, she was appliqueing the "rosette" (not like the "diamonds" in the photo earlier) to a plain background square. She was then going to sew the squares together, probably with a coordinating sashing. This seemed much easier to handle and I could take it with me - in small manageable sections - to work on.

I'm not finished but will dig out one from my "camping sewing" box and send a photo, soon.