Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Gray? >
  • Gray?

• Gray?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 AM
    Power Poster

Default Gray?

Am I the only one not loving the gray craze? I just looked at the AQS winning trad. bed quilt http://www.thequiltshow.com/ and it has outstanding piecing and quilting BUT I am not loving the gray. A lot of the modern quilts have gray as a background and it reminds me of battleship gray, blech!
    Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 AM
    Power Poster

I like some gray but prefer it more for a backing. Of course it all depends a lot on the pattern as far as I'm concerned. I would have liked it better if the artist would've used a darker gray - to black. It is a gorgeous quilt though!
    Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 AM

ohh I`m one who loves the grays....I guess it depends on taste , but to me it is a great background fabric.
    Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 AM

I actually like that quilt with the dark gray. A nice change from a black background. I think probably everyone has colors they don't particularly like. I seem to have trouble with purple.
    Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 AM

You aren't alone! I do not like grey at all. I think it's "cold."

Our older daughter will be getting married this summer, and is not a fan of "traditional" quilts. Their bedroom is grey with burgundy accents. I've purchased a several cuts of grey, a couple of burgundies and am going to ... Do something with it! Honestly, I think something like the Jelly Roll Race quilt would be her taste! So varying strips of grey, with occasional blocks or HST's of burgundy, may be what ends up coming together. It'd certainly be easy.
    Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 AM

I don't mind gray in the right context. But yup, I dislike heartily the yellow greens!! Ugggg, to each his own
    Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 AM

I don't mind the grey in this particular quilt because it's a mottled/marbled grey, but I do agree that the solid flat grey used in many modern quilts just does my head in. At least in the quilt you linked, there is some interest in the grey background.
    Old 02-15-2014, 07:45 AM
    RST

I love gray/grey. I use it a lot. There are cold grays, for sure, but there are some that read as warm. A gray is far less harsh than black (which I also love and use a lot), and less likely to get dirty and dingy looking than white or cream. Plus a lot of home decor is geared toward grays now, so quilts with gray sell well, go for high prices at charity auctions, and tend to make recipients who are setting up new homes or nurseries very happy.
    Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Am I the only one not loving the gray craze? I just looked at the AQS winning trad. bed quilt http://www.thequiltshow.com/ and it has outstanding piecing and quilting BUT I am not loving the gray. A lot of the modern quilts have gray as a background and it reminds me of battleship gray, blech!
    I agree. Beautifully pieced but not crazy with the background color. My best friend lives in Phoenix now and she really wasn't impressed with the quilts in the show. She did like that it wasn't as crowded as the Road to California quilt show but then she went on the first day.
    Old 02-15-2014, 08:00 AM

I like gray but not all for backgrounds. Some are too cold, or appear dirty to me. But I have seen gray used very effectively in some quilts, especially more modern quilts.