Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

I was just thinking about all the quilters I know, and wondered how many color their hair, and why? And if not, why not?

I color, but am thinking about letting it grow out to it's very gray shade. I always worked and that was my original reason for coloring, as I was turning gray at 25. Now I am nearly 70 and still coloring. DH and I adopted a little boy who is now almost 7 and at first I thought I needed to continue coloring,'cause i didn't want him to think I was old! Ha!
    So, what do you all think? ............hmmmmm..............

Blog Entries
    Hi,

I am beginning now to get a few gray hairs (my hair is red) I hate my hair so eventually people won't call me a red head as I will be gray. ha ha, lol

Karen

I'm just starting to grey, and have decided that I'm going to let nature take it's course. I don't want the expense and fuss of coloring all the time.

Karen - I LOVE red hair. I'm a bit biased since my DH is a redhead, although greying too. Several in-laws are reds too.

I was red-headed for awhile. I love red hair!! Now it's just A6.

Blog Entries
    I found my first gray when I was 23. Figured I earned it and was going to keep it.
    When someone asked me if a photo of me when I was only a few years younger was my daughter! I figured that it was making me look old....and Miss Clairol and I became once a month best buddies.
    Now I think "Heh! Why did I care what that guy thought?" and often think about letting it grow out...but then I never do...
    Someday maybe...

Well, I colored my hair for years. I started going grey in my 20's. When I turned 50 last yearI decided that I was going to try to go natural. My best friend, who is my hair dresser, helped me by keeping a little blonde in it for a year.... just less and less. Now I am pretty much all natural, and I can't believe how many compliments I have gotten. It was a hard change. It has been quite liberating.
    My mom had such beautiful whiteish-gray hair, but she colored it till she was in her early 70's. As a kid, I thought she would have looked better with natural hair. That is why I decided to let mine go natural.

In my 20's I too began turning gray and colored my hair for a number of years! Between perms and the coloring I lived with fuzzy straw on my head and got very tired of that.
    About 15 + years ago I quit coloring and perming and have really healthy, stiking looking salt & pepper (mostly salt!!)hair!! Everyone compliments me on it---strangers out on the street, in stores!! It is fun! I love it!!

I'm starting to go grey. I don't mind the grey but it is greying around my face and when I look in the mirror I see an orangutan looking back, (they have a halo of grey around thier faces), so I have my hair highlighted to hide where the grey is.

I color my hair, but I do a weave and that way it just blends with the grey, rather than coloring the whole thing. My hair is normally that dirty blond color. This just brightens it a bit.

I have been coloring my hair for years. I let it grow out a couple years ago, but started coloring again when someone called my dad my brother. That did it for me.

GMA
    I quit coloring my hair when I turned 50. Too time consuming and didn't work with my perms. My hair is much healthier and I am what I am.

Color my hair?
    Only my hairdresser knows for sure. ;)

I'm 62 & have been using color since my 40's. I get depressed when I see the gray growing in, so I start reaching for the color.

just started 2 months ago. i went to a party of my peers and i was the only one with grey hair. waaaah? i'm 67.

I'll be 50 this year and don't have a whole lot of gray, yet. My mother has this beautiful white hair, of course that grew in after her Chemo 25 years ago.
    I have naturally blond hair, but it has gotten a darker the past few years so a good friend of mine weave's it for me, to "lighten" my life up a little!! With my blond, I don't think the gray shows up a whole lot.

I'm 39 and I tried growing my hair out last year. I started graying at 25 and I'm about 60% gray now, I guess but this did NOT go over well. My mom's friends told her they thought it made me look old! (My DH wisely didn't say a word! ;-) Also, I have light skin and I think all gray can look stunning on a darker skinned person but it just washed me out so I'm back to brown!

Let's see...been coloring my hair for so long, that thankfully I have pictures that tell me what my "real" hair color ought to be :) :).
    I have white gray hair over about 80% of my head, but for some reason I feel the need to color about once a month. DH has often told me to let it go, I just haven't come to terms with it. I just turned 51 so who knows...maybe when I'm 55, or 60--see I'm already hedging :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    just started 2 months ago. i went to a party of my peers and i was the only one with grey hair. waaaah? i'm 67.
    maybe it's because your peers have all colored their hair! One less thing to take up my time--I'd rather be sewing :lol:

I've been doing a weave for years and have no plans on stopping. LOL

I use to color my hair. Nine years ago I retired, My company
    went to another country, but was very good to me, and let me stay until I was of retirement age. Since then I had some
    health problems. When I worry about something, I don't get
    ulcer, my hair falls out. I have dark hair, mingle with
    gray. and a spot of white in the back of my head. I tried to
    keep it all covered, It was to much of a hassle, so I just
    let all the gray show. I'm okay with that. My hair is a lot healthier. BTW, I'm 64.

I have long black hair with a 1 1/2 inch wide grey streak the length of my hair. I used to dye it, but I am embracing my greyness...hehe

I began finding greys at age 23. I'm very chemically sensitive and so have always avoided color treatments but last summer found some at a natural foods store that were completely herbal. I gave it a go and liked the results. Yea! I wasn't going to be an old looking mom when my son began Kindergarten! But between doing the math ($15/month=$180/year) and carving out time to keep it up, I decided it wasn't worth it. BTW, I'm 37 now and will stay au naturel.

My gray hair isn't gray, but pure white. I get mine streaked about once a year. That way everything just blends together and is not noticable.

Honey, if mine was pure white, I'd love it. I'm gray around the face by my temples, some in front & sprinkled on sides & back, just enough to make it look yukky (to me anyway). My grand kids loved it when I went Purple, do you know the almost Neon purple & Neon orange/red. Since I originally had almost black hair, the orange/red was out. That was only a phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
    Honey, if mine was pure white, I'd love it. I'm gray around the face by my temples, some in front & sprinkled on sides & back, just enough to make it look yukky (to me anyway). My grand kids loved it when I went Purple, do you know the almost Neon purple & Neon orange/red. Since I originally had almost black hair, the orange/red was out. That was only a phase.
    Your grey sounds just like mine - at the temples and sprinkled throughout. I also have very dark brown/almost black hair. My main concern over color is that the natural curls that I have will become kinky and wiry as they get white. Not looking forward to that.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast