Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/gray-hair-not-t35744.html)

yourstrulyquilts 02-01-2010 07:32 PM

I was just thinking about all the quilters I know, and wondered how many color their hair, and why? And if not, why not?

I color, but am thinking about letting it grow out to it's very gray shade. I always worked and that was my original reason for coloring, as I was turning gray at 25. Now I am nearly 70 and still coloring. DH and I adopted a little boy who is now almost 7 and at first I thought I needed to continue coloring,'cause i didn't want him to think I was old! Ha!
So, what do you all think? ............hmmmmm..............

craftybear 02-01-2010 07:34 PM

Hi,

I am beginning now to get a few gray hairs (my hair is red) I hate my hair so eventually people won't call me a red head as I will be gray. ha ha, lol

Karen

2wheelwoman 02-01-2010 07:38 PM

I'm just starting to grey, and have decided that I'm going to let nature take it's course. I don't want the expense and fuss of coloring all the time.

Karen - I LOVE red hair. I'm a bit biased since my DH is a redhead, although greying too. Several in-laws are reds too.

yourstrulyquilts 02-01-2010 07:39 PM

I was red-headed for awhile. I love red hair!! Now it's just A6.

Charlee 02-01-2010 07:40 PM

I found my first gray when I was 23. Figured I earned it and was going to keep it.
When someone asked me if a photo of me when I was only a few years younger was my daughter! I figured that it was making me look old....and Miss Clairol and I became once a month best buddies.
Now I think "Heh! Why did I care what that guy thought?" and often think about letting it grow out...but then I never do...
Someday maybe...

oldswimmer 02-01-2010 07:48 PM

Well, I colored my hair for years. I started going grey in my 20's. When I turned 50 last yearI decided that I was going to try to go natural. My best friend, who is my hair dresser, helped me by keeping a little blonde in it for a year.... just less and less. Now I am pretty much all natural, and I can't believe how many compliments I have gotten. It was a hard change. It has been quite liberating.
My mom had such beautiful whiteish-gray hair, but she colored it till she was in her early 70's. As a kid, I thought she would have looked better with natural hair. That is why I decided to let mine go natural.

drivingsusan 02-01-2010 07:59 PM

In my 20's I too began turning gray and colored my hair for a number of years! Between perms and the coloring I lived with fuzzy straw on my head and got very tired of that.
About 15 + years ago I quit coloring and perming and have really healthy, stiking looking salt & pepper (mostly salt!!)hair!! Everyone compliments me on it---strangers out on the street, in stores!! It is fun! I love it!!

Justok 02-01-2010 08:27 PM

I'm starting to go grey. I don't mind the grey but it is greying around my face and when I look in the mirror I see an orangutan looking back, (they have a halo of grey around thier faces), so I have my hair highlighted to hide where the grey is.

shaverg 02-01-2010 08:29 PM

I color my hair, but I do a weave and that way it just blends with the grey, rather than coloring the whole thing. My hair is normally that dirty blond color. This just brightens it a bit.

littlehud 02-01-2010 08:32 PM

I have been coloring my hair for years. I let it grow out a couple years ago, but started coloring again when someone called my dad my brother. That did it for me.