Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the Great Darning Foot Hunt >

the Great Darning Foot Hunt

the Great Darning Foot Hunt

Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Why won't a short shank darning foot work? Those are easy to find. Other than a Bernina, I thought all machines use either a short shank, a long shank or a slant shank, all of which are readily available.

I'm not sure what kind of shank is on her Brother machine but you need the proper shank, ie., short, long or slant for your particular machine or it won't work. The big foot comes in both short and long shanks.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:48 PM

I agree, Quiltmaker, that you need the correct foot. I have a Janome short shank for my Elna and a slant needle one for my Singer 301. I'm sure the Brother has a short shank, so a generic or Janome short shank would work if the Brother isn't available.

One of mine came from my LQS and one came from April's 1930s Shop online. The latter is the nicer of the two. The FMQing instructor at the LQS was impressed with it.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:51 AM

[quote=heyjami]it works great (once I sliced off the weird poky arm on the top and opened the foot with pliers).

i love quilter ingenuity. i assume "weird poky arm" is a technical term used only in appropriate circles. rofl
Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 PM

hey, I'm technical all day.
here I can call it a weird pokey thing and feel confident that you all knew what I was talking about... heehee

I'd say to get one that fits (low shank) but feel comfortable that you can adjust it as YOU need to according to your FMQ style. I was enjoying a FMQ blog site and she really encouraged us to embrace the thing for what it is - a tool. Adjust it as you need to. Stick something in it to adjust/reduce the tension against the fabric too if you want. ;-) That really helped me open that FMQ up so I could move as I needed to...

The $3 foot is much better than the no foot attachment set up with the New Home machine I have.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:27 AM

Here's my favorite darning foot for low shank machines:
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...t-SCF55417.htm

I've got a really big collection of darning feet, so I understand all about "the quest." LOL!

But this little $3 provides excellent visibility and smooth action.

I tried the Big Foot on my high shank and liked it well enough that I ordered one for my low shank machines - it's not here yet, but my money is on the underdog - pretty fair odds that the little $3 foot will do just as well or better than the $30 Big Foot. :)
Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by kedougou
The Great Darning Foot Hunt is a continuing quest of one lone quilters search for the perfect darning foot (or realy anything that fits the adventurer's machine). The quest has covered miles of territory and countless web pages. It has been a long and frustrating road. Will you be the one to pull the sword from the stone and rescue this weary traveler? To be victorious we must locate an item the Brother website refuses to acknowledge ... a Darning Foot that fits the Brother LX-3125E (aka, the cheep but fun Fashion Faces). This is one quilter that will not rest until it is possible to perform the delicate dance of Free motion quilting on this inexpensive machine.
(seriously, anybody know where I can get a darning foot to fit the LX-3125E? I can find a walking foot, a 1/4 in foot, zipper ect. but nothing that would work for free motion.)
I don't know if this Brother uses the same feet as my Brother 1500S but I had a heck of a time trying to find an open darning foot for mine. I was doing some real technical stitching and I couldn't see clearly through the plastic center. I could get a replacement foot with a clear plastic center with a hole in it for FMQ but not one without the center insert. I phoned, I googled, I spoke to sales people and I bought a number of feet that I ultimately had to return. My solution was to purchase a second FMQ foot, get out my handy dremel and physically remove the plastic insert. Note, if you do this yourself wear eye protection, better yet have your favorite handyman with a proper vise do it.

Diana
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 AM

I bought mine from SEWINGSUPPLYWAREHOUSE.COM. I have a Brother machine & I got fast service, great customer service as I'd ordered both the walking foot & the FMQ foot but they were out of the darning foot. They called to ask if I wanted them to send a less expensive one that would also fit it so they could ship immediately or if I wanted to wait. Both work fantastic & I'll definitely order from them again!