Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting foot/darning foot >

Quilting foot/darning foot

Quilting foot/darning foot

Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Is this the foot that I would need for FMQ? Is it the same thing as a darning foot?

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SA129-...ref=pd_sbs_k_2
Old 08-13-2010, 08:33 AM

Yes, as long as it will fit your machine. I have this foot and use it on both a Brother machine and a Janome machine with no problems.

Great price, too! I paid more than that!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

It wasn't clear to me from the description if this was a "hopping" foot (what is needed for FMQ). However, reading the reviews showed that it does indeed have a spring and someone used it to quilt a baby quilt. You do have to be careful because sometimes a piecing foot is sold as a quilting foot. This, however, appears to be the right kind of foot for FMQ.

One good thing about buying from Amazon's in-stock stuff (not 3rd party sellers) is that returns are very easy.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:40 AM

Prism99, I knew I had seen someone say that before, that's why I wanted to post it here before I ordered it.

That is a good price! I looked around and its $15-20+ dollars everywhere else.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 AM

That's it! Beware of the one called the Big Foot. It was awful. I went through three of them and called their headquarters. They promised to send me a replacement almost two months ago and I have never received it. I found a metal one at my LQS. It was cheaper, I can see through it better and have not had one lick of trouble with it. I suggest that if you get it through your LQS that you take your machine in and have them show you how to install it. There is a little trick to it.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
That's it! Beware of the one called the Big Foot. It was awful. I went through three of them and called their headquarters. They promised to send me a replacement almost two months ago and I have never received it. I found a metal one at my LQS. It was cheaper, I can see through it better and have not had one lick of trouble with it. I suggest that if you get it through your LQS that you take your machine in and have them show you how to install it. There is a little trick to it.
You know, I researched that one a little, and found a LOT of bad reviews for it. So, it must be pretty bad for that many people to review it ad.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Thanks for info...almost bought the bigfoot on amazon yesterday....glad i waited
Old 08-13-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
Yes, as long as it will fit your machine. I have this foot and use it on both a Brother machine and a Janome machine with no problems.

Great price, too! I paid more than that!
Are Janome feet and Brother feet the same?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:07 PM

I hate to hear the Big Foot has gotten bad reviews. I've had mine a couple years and love it.