Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Groovy boards or pantograms?

Blog Entries
    I am looking at both of these for the future. Does anyone use them? If so, any info would be greatly appreciated.

I found the groovy boards to be expensive, I love pantos

Power Poster
    I don't know much about the groovy boards,but I think people either buy a couple and keep stopping and moveing the boards (which I wouldn't want to do) or the buy enough to go the whole width of the quilt. I use pantograms. Usually I find a pattern I like, then I copy and paste into as many pages as I need.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendys Quilts
    I am looking at both of these for the future. Does anyone use them? If so, any info would be greatly appreciated.
    I use pantographs alot and I enjoy using them. Most of them are very precise and easy to use. I have used the groovy boards a few times and one thing that I have noticed with the groovy boards is that if you have to backtrack in a certain area it doesn't always backtrack exactly where you quilted before. I guess you could say there is a little wiggle room there. Other than that they aren't to bad. Oh, I just remember something else - if you break a thread or run out of bobbin and need to move the machine you have to remember to pull the stylus out of the groovy board or you can't move anywhere except in the design area so that can be a little bit of a hassle too. Hope this helps you. Plus groovy boards are alot more expensive than pantographs and take up more room for storing.

Thanks,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter

Blog Entries
    Yes the groovy boards are expensive. What pantograms are the easiest then? I tried flowers once and it turned out aweful lol. Also my machine is a 9" throat. What size pentagram would be best?

What are groovy boards and pantos? and how would you use them? I have to say over here panto is pantomime with a principle boy who is a girl, and Dames who are men. I always new we were rather eccentric over here!!! It is held in the theatre at Christmas time, I think it is mainly a British idea.

pantos...groovy board were too expensive. Had some with my mid-arm...never used them!

Our LQS rents time on the Handiquilter and I took a class in using it. I was told the groovy boards take practice to learn. The ladies at the quilt shop said they have never gotten the hang of them and none of the customers use them.

I like the groovy boards - very quick - I did buy 3 of them so I can get real close to covering side to side - It's just a quick way to get a quilt done. I have panto's but they are harder to line up the rows. Good thing about panto's there are a million different ones - groovy boards not so much.

Yes the groovy boards are expensive. What pantograms are the easiest then? I tried flowers once and it turned out aweful lol. Also my machine is a 9" throat. What size pentagram would be best?
    I think one of the easiest pantos is 'Chantilly Lace'. I don't know what size you would need. My machine has about a 22" throat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast