Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Growth chart quilt >

Growth chart quilt

Growth chart quilt

Old 05-20-2017, 08:27 AM

Default Growth chart quilt

I would like to make a growth chart for my granddaughter. I've seen some pre-printed panels and don't want those. I've seen one that I especially like that has owls sitting on different branches of a tree and I would like to try using birds instead. Her name is Robin and the robin is the state bird of Connecticut, the state where I was born and where I spent my growing years. My questions are: how long should the quilt be and How far from the floor should the bottom begin? She is almost 18 months now and I want it to last for a few years.
Has anyone made one and do you have any good tips for me? I've spent way too much time on Pinterest when I could be working on my project. Thanks for any suggestions you offer.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

What a great idea .... you can really personalize it now!

Height from the floor ... while it will come down low, I think I would start with it at about her current shoulder height, so you can start with her current height.

You might want to consider where it will hang .... that may affect some of your decisions as to how you will hang it, how wide it should be, what batting to use, etc.

Being that it is going to be around for a number of years, it will likely need to be washed at some point. Therefore, take that into consideration before you start, in order to prevent shrinkage, colour runs, skewering your markings, etc.

Another thought would be what info do you want on her growth chart? Height is obvious. Date likely. Perhaps weight. I would consider adding embellishments at each stage, personalized to what she is enjoying at that time of her life. Also, I would probably hand embroider all the info, rather than putting on with a marker. Just looks nicer!

Every minute you spend on Pinterest will not be a waste, as with some good forethought and planning, you will create a special memory for you and your DGD.

However .... Keep in mind ... if you start this for this special Miss, then you may be committed to doing the same for any more grands that arrive into your life!
Old 05-20-2017, 11:22 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

iMHO, the working section of the chart should start about 25" up from the floor. Since the panels run selvage to selvage, that would be about 40". Then add whatever border width (if any) you like.

Example: if you plan on 2" finished borders, the bottom of the finished quilt would be 23" (or so) above the floor, it would be 44" long in total, and last until your DGG is 5"6'.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:33 AM

My daughter made this one for a friend and she loved it. Perhaps you can applique some birds on it?
Attached Thumbnails renderedimage.jpg  
Old 05-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

cute idea. ask at Doctor's office what height is normal for girls and so on. that should give you a starting point. owls are cute. giraffe too. Have fun.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Thank you so much for your input. I found so much info from your replies that I know it's going to easier than I originally thought. The only difficult part will be that, although I can embroider parts of the info, I cannot keep it up. I live in N. Calif and my DGD currently lives in London and may be headed to Scotland in the next year or so. I would be so wonderful if I could visit at least once a year to embroider the updates but do see how that's going to happen unless I hit the lottery. So I may need to resort to a permanent pigma pen and let her parents add the info.
I am excited to get started now and hope to have it completed by Labor Day when I head across the pond for my first visit. Thanks again for your response to my questions. Happy Quilting!
Old 05-21-2017, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Yes, that might be a bit difficult for you to keep up with embroidered updates!

You might be able to keep the fun going though, by making some additions that you periodically mail to her.
They could be added via using stick-on velcro or safety pins or perhaps her Mom (or Dad!) could hand sew them in place.

If you consider doing this, you will want to make sure you have some good measurements and photos of what you create, so the add-ons would fit. Maybe even draw it out onto kraft paper, so you can check how things fit.

Have fun creating this for your special Miss ... being so far away, it will be a nice connection for her to her Grandma!