Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: blocks of the "Masonry" quilt

blocks of the "Masonry" quilt

I made a little group of four blocks of the "Masonry" quilt I want to do. I had to resort to putting little squares in the sashing to make sure it would come out straight.

Does anyone know an easier way that will still be accurate? I do not want to mess this up. If I put one long piece of sashing between the rows I am worried that they will not match up.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    not sure what it the quilt you are doing looks like but I've added long strips of sashings and had no problem. i do pin center,ends and in between too. every seam that needs to match up anywhere.

I mark the back of the sashing with chalk where the edges of the blocks should be. That way they can be accurately lined up.

I do not do long sashing. The bottom and right side blocks have sashing on all for sides. All of the other blocks have sashing on the Top and Left sides.
    I think this is what you are asking.
    It keeps me from having offset blocks due to sashing.
    Good luck
    Mike

I believe what you described was putting cornerstones in the sashing, and it is a great way to keep the blocks lined up. If you do not want to use cornerstones, then do as Jennifer23 suggested. Mark both edges of the long length of sashing EXACTLY where each seam should be. (Here's an example using 8" blocks and 1" sashing--make your first mark at 8 1/4 " and then continue to mark at 1", 8", 1", 8", 1" intervals until your last block which will be marked 8 1/4" from the end of the sashing.)
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I cheat by making the cornerstones of the same color as the sashing. Easy Peasy.

just wondering... is your quilt a mason jar quilt or based on free masons? If freemasonry - I would love to know where you found a pattern

dee

Blog Entries
    Sorry! problems uploading .doc file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kitsie; 05-20-2017 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Do not know how to add .doc file
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnewf View Post
    just wondering... is your quilt a mason jar quilt or based on free masons? If freemasonry - I would love to know where you found a pattern

dee
    Actually this "Masonry" was inspired by an old episode of Perry Mason I was watching last week, in which there was a driveway paved with bricks. The sashing is going to be about one inch when sewn. Very small. I can do the little squares thing, it's just that they will be difficult to handle.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

Quote Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
    I cheat by making the cornerstones of the same color as the sashing. Easy Peasy.
    Yes, that is what I did in my little test block. It came out fine. I was wondering if there is an easier way.