Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   blocks of the "Masonry" quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blocks-masonry-quilt-t288362.html)

Boston1954 05-19-2017 10:37 AM

blocks of the "Masonry" quilt

I made a little group of four blocks of the "Masonry" quilt I want to do. I had to resort to putting little squares in the sashing to make sure it would come out straight.

Does anyone know an easier way that will still be accurate? I do not want to mess this up. If I put one long piece of sashing between the rows I am worried that they will not match up.

nativetexan 05-19-2017 12:27 PM

not sure what it the quilt you are doing looks like but I've added long strips of sashings and had no problem. i do pin center,ends and in between too. every seam that needs to match up anywhere.

Jennifer23 05-19-2017 01:13 PM

I mark the back of the sashing with chalk where the edges of the blocks should be. That way they can be accurately lined up.

AVFD215 05-19-2017 01:28 PM

I do not do long sashing. The bottom and right side blocks have sashing on all for sides. All of the other blocks have sashing on the Top and Left sides.
I think this is what you are asking.
It keeps me from having offset blocks due to sashing.
Good luck
Mike

GingerK 05-19-2017 01:53 PM

I believe what you described was putting cornerstones in the sashing, and it is a great way to keep the blocks lined up. If you do not want to use cornerstones, then do as Jennifer23 suggested. Mark both edges of the long length of sashing EXACTLY where each seam should be. (Here's an example using 8" blocks and 1" sashing--make your first mark at 8 1/4 " and then continue to mark at 1", 8", 1", 8", 1" intervals until your last block which will be marked 8 1/4" from the end of the sashing.)

trolleystation 05-20-2017 07:39 AM

I cheat by making the cornerstones of the same color as the sashing. Easy Peasy.

quiltingnewf 05-20-2017 08:41 AM

just wondering... is your quilt a mason jar quilt or based on free masons? If freemasonry - I would love to know where you found a pattern

dee

Kitsie 05-20-2017 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry! problems uploading .doc file.

Boston1954 05-21-2017 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnewf (Post 7827757)
just wondering... is your quilt a mason jar quilt or based on free masons? If freemasonry - I would love to know where you found a pattern

dee

Actually this "Masonry" was inspired by an old episode of Perry Mason I was watching last week, in which there was a driveway paved with bricks. The sashing is going to be about one inch when sewn. Very small. I can do the little squares thing, it's just that they will be difficult to handle.

Boston1954 05-21-2017 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by trolleystation (Post 7827723)
I cheat by making the cornerstones of the same color as the sashing. Easy Peasy.

Yes, that is what I did in my little test block. It came out fine. I was wondering if there is an easier way.