Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guild meeting times >

Guild meeting times

Guild meeting times

Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 AM

I belong to two guilds. One meets only in the evening and the other has both a morning and evening meeting. The both meet the same week of the month so that's a busy one for me.

Joy
Old 10-25-2010, 05:54 AM

You need to talk to the guild executive. Perhaps they have never discussed having a day group and don't realize that evening driving is an issue for some members. Maybe they could find you a driving buddy who will pick you up on guild night. My friend and I used to share the driving to our meetings. Now she can't drive at night, so I take all the turns. She pays back in other little ways (made lunch when it was actually my turn). As I worked the day of guild, it was very much appreciated. Quilters are resourceful sharing people. There are solutions for this problem but you do have to start the conversation by asking. I brought this very topic up at our last guild executive meeting when I noticed some of our older faithful members were missing meetings and I was pretty sure that evening driving was just too difficult. Our executive had just not thought about this before. We're now promoting car pooling for every guild event and it's great to see more out.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 AM

I certainly understand the problems driving at night, I try to avoid it when possible. But I also work out of the home, so night meetings are the only ones I can attend. I've been looking at various guilds in our area as the one I belong to, I can only attend during the summer months as it conflicts with Cub Scouts (and will until February 2012 for me). I would love to be more active, just have to find time.

I did find one guild within an hours drive of me that meets on Tuesdays, but at 9:30 a.m.

Cheers, K
Old 10-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

check with some of the members of your local guild, you may be able to car-pool and ride with someone who lives near you. also sometimes there are small (side-groups) of women who get together during the month in the morning at a lqs or library...and work together on community projects ect. also check with your local quilt shops or even Joannes...they sometimes know of little sewing groups who get together a couple times a month during the day. here we even have little (sew-in's) at the lqs...every tuesday morning you can just go in and work on what ever from 9-noon...so the group changes all the time but you still get advice, help with problems, inspiration and community. these little groups are abundant...the key is to find one that fit's you :thumbup:
Old 10-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I also belong to two guilds - a small one that meets in the evening and a large one that has both morning and evening meetings. Small guilds have a problem on meeting times. Some of the older members don't want to drive at night, and some of the younger members have to work during the day. Weekends are generally not favored for meeting times by either group, so it's a juggling act. The best solution may be for members who don't mind driving at night to offer transportation to those who won't or can't drive at night. Maybe you can ask the other members of the guild and see if you can arrange a carpool where non-driving members chip in for gas.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 AM

Mawcarol, our group has a day meeting and a night meeting. The day meeting is the third wed. of each month, 9:00am to 12:00 noon. The night meeting is the first thursday of each month. Then every quarter, the second saturday of (Mar, June, Sept, Dec) is a potluck, in which day and night members get together for a quilt day and lunch. They might have a guest speaker, also, during the potluck.
If you are interested in one, put an ad in the local newspaper and see if there is any interest or if there is one established, already. Just a thought!! Eiltcoq.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:37 AM

You guys are all so lucky whether your guild meets at night or in the morning. There are no guilds near me but I sure wish there was. I would love to have a quilting buddy!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
While at Plattsburgh my guild met on Wednesdays at 6:30 ending at 9:00PM. This was good because I was working and things were a lot more relaxed. I couldn't do those hours now if I wanted it. I joined one in NYC and the meetings are on Saturday, starting at 10:00 with meeting of different interests groups. You decide to which ones you want to go. The whole guild meets at 1:00PM and is over before 5:00. They bring great guest speakers too. In November is Laura Wasilowski from The Chicago School of Fusing. Looking forward to that one.
the nyc meetings sound great! deciding which group to join within the meeting sounds fantastic! a great way to keep interested and meet artists from all mediums.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

My quilt group meets on Mondays from 10.30a.m. to 1.00p.m.