Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Guild meeting times

Do most guilds meet at night? I would like to join a local guild ,but the ones near me meet at night. I can not see to drive after dark. Why don't they have a morning group for those that don't work and can't see to get out and about after dark?
    I was just wondering if this is a problem for anyone else? I am just venting this morningI guess. This board always has an encouraging word for everone and I guess I just need one this morning.

Mine meets on the Second Tuesday of the Month, at 9:30.
    I usually miss it because I am very involved with MOPS as a Mentor mom and we meet every other Tuesday. It just happens that they fall on the same day quite frequently!
    I work from 12-5 Tuesdays so I can help out at MOPS :cry: :cry:

you should check the senior centers. there is one near my house that has a quilting group that meets there during the day for quilting. Not sure if they are their own guild or just something like a sewing bee, but it is something to check out. hope this helps.

I kind of have the same problem...its just so far, andf I would have to drive at night too. Always affraid will hit a deer or something, and I just hatedriving at night too!

Our local guild meets at 10am on the 2nd and 3rd Tuesdays. But that is a hard time for me. I do wish they would meet in the evening.

While at Plattsburgh my guild met on Wednesdays at 6:30 ending at 9:00PM. This was good because I was working and things were a lot more relaxed. I couldn't do those hours now if I wanted it. I joined one in NYC and the meetings are on Saturday, starting at 10:00 with meeting of different interests groups. You decide to which ones you want to go. The whole guild meets at 1:00PM and is over before 5:00. They bring great guest speakers too. In November is Laura Wasilowski from The Chicago School of Fusing. Looking forward to that one.

My guild meets the first Monday of the month from 6:30 to 9. Luckily I don't have far to drive b/c I hate driving at night.

Our guild has 2 times tues nite at 730 then the following wed morn at nine,of course once a month
    You might check with your local LQS and see if there are any quilting bees that get together during the day that you can attend
    I know herre ib town we have 7-8 seperate from the guild meeting,just to gather,work on projects and socialize

Since I am retired, I don't like evening or weekend things. I joined my guild mainly because it is the only one I could find that meets during the day.

Our guild has a 9:30am meeting and another at 6:30pm. But we have almost 200 members so unless we found a bigger place, we couldn't all fit in there at the same time anyway.

I belong to two guilds. One meets only in the evening and the other has both a morning and evening meeting. The both meet the same week of the month so that's a busy one for me.

Joy

You need to talk to the guild executive. Perhaps they have never discussed having a day group and don't realize that evening driving is an issue for some members. Maybe they could find you a driving buddy who will pick you up on guild night. My friend and I used to share the driving to our meetings. Now she can't drive at night, so I take all the turns. She pays back in other little ways (made lunch when it was actually my turn). As I worked the day of guild, it was very much appreciated. Quilters are resourceful sharing people. There are solutions for this problem but you do have to start the conversation by asking. I brought this very topic up at our last guild executive meeting when I noticed some of our older faithful members were missing meetings and I was pretty sure that evening driving was just too difficult. Our executive had just not thought about this before. We're now promoting car pooling for every guild event and it's great to see more out.

I certainly understand the problems driving at night, I try to avoid it when possible. But I also work out of the home, so night meetings are the only ones I can attend. I've been looking at various guilds in our area as the one I belong to, I can only attend during the summer months as it conflicts with Cub Scouts (and will until February 2012 for me). I would love to be more active, just have to find time.

I did find one guild within an hours drive of me that meets on Tuesdays, but at 9:30 a.m.

Cheers, K

Blog Entries
    check with some of the members of your local guild, you may be able to car-pool and ride with someone who lives near you. also sometimes there are small (side-groups) of women who get together during the month in the morning at a lqs or library...and work together on community projects ect. also check with your local quilt shops or even Joannes...they sometimes know of little sewing groups who get together a couple times a month during the day. here we even have little (sew-in's) at the lqs...every tuesday morning you can just go in and work on what ever from 9-noon...so the group changes all the time but you still get advice, help with problems, inspiration and community. these little groups are abundant...the key is to find one that fit's you :thumbup:

I also belong to two guilds - a small one that meets in the evening and a large one that has both morning and evening meetings. Small guilds have a problem on meeting times. Some of the older members don't want to drive at night, and some of the younger members have to work during the day. Weekends are generally not favored for meeting times by either group, so it's a juggling act. The best solution may be for members who don't mind driving at night to offer transportation to those who won't or can't drive at night. Maybe you can ask the other members of the guild and see if you can arrange a carpool where non-driving members chip in for gas.

Mawcarol, our group has a day meeting and a night meeting. The day meeting is the third wed. of each month, 9:00am to 12:00 noon. The night meeting is the first thursday of each month. Then every quarter, the second saturday of (Mar, June, Sept, Dec) is a potluck, in which day and night members get together for a quilt day and lunch. They might have a guest speaker, also, during the potluck.
    If you are interested in one, put an ad in the local newspaper and see if there is any interest or if there is one established, already. Just a thought!! Eiltcoq.

Blog Entries
    You guys are all so lucky whether your guild meets at night or in the morning. There are no guilds near me but I sure wish there was. I would love to have a quilting buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    While at Plattsburgh my guild met on Wednesdays at 6:30 ending at 9:00PM. This was good because I was working and things were a lot more relaxed. I couldn't do those hours now if I wanted it. I joined one in NYC and the meetings are on Saturday, starting at 10:00 with meeting of different interests groups. You decide to which ones you want to go. The whole guild meets at 1:00PM and is over before 5:00. They bring great guest speakers too. In November is Laura Wasilowski from The Chicago School of Fusing. Looking forward to that one.
    the nyc meetings sound great! deciding which group to join within the meeting sounds fantastic! a great way to keep interested and meet artists from all mediums.

My quilt group meets on Mondays from 10.30a.m. to 1.00p.m.