Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half square triangle question >

Half square triangle question

Half square triangle question

Old 03-27-2016, 10:50 AM

Default Half square triangle question

Is there a good way to see half square triangles so that they don't get wonky the last half inch or less when sewing them together?
I try to use the purple thang to hold them but it's not that great.
Thank you
Old 03-27-2016, 10:58 AM

I love the bloc loc tool. There is a You Tube demo, check it out!
Old 03-27-2016, 11:01 AM

I personally use a Patchwork Seam Guide on my Bernina (http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Product...ork-seam-guide). It screws into the bed of my machine & keeps the fabric going in a straight line right under the presser foot. On my old Singer, the guide is built into the foot (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2807759...466&rmvSB=true). That makes sure that I keep a consistent 1/4" seam all the way to the end.

If the issue is that the two pieces are separating for that last bit, you could try running a small bead of glue/glue stick within the intended seam to hold them together.

Edit: SewMagic has a good point. You could just mark the diagonal line of a square & then sew 1/4" on either side of the line. The larger piece might be easier to manage than the small HST's. Just add 7/8" to the finished size of your HST. For example, if your HST finishes at 2 1/2", you would cut a square that is 3 3/8". Here's a tutorial (scroll down to "Method 2"): http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...ngles__D4.html

Last edited by Bree123; 03-27-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
.....SewMagic has a good point. You could just mark the diagonal line of a square & then sew 1/4" on either side of the line. The larger piece might be easier to manage than the small HST's. Just add 7/8" to the finished size of your HST. For example, if your HST finishes at 2 1/2", you would cut a square that is 3 3/8". Here's a tutorial (scroll down to "Method 2"): http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...ngles__D4.html
I always do my HSTs this way. The larger square is easier to handle and when I get to the point I slow down so I get an even 1/4 inch seam when I cut them apart.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Do you cut the triangles first, or use 2 squares, draw a line down the center, then sew on either side of the line then cut? In either case, your seam is on the bias of the fabric. Sewing a square give a bit more stability to the bias edge. I'm thinking that you might be tugging on the bias, stretching it. a bit so it goes haywire. Using the stiletto is a good idea, but only use it to guide the fabric, not pull or push.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:22 PM

I starch or Best Press all my quilting material before I cut & sew. That stabilizes the fabric. I tend to cut only what I need or small batches at a time. When I was younger I cut the entire quilt pieces out at once then kept the cut pieces in ziplock style baggies or boxes with a bay leaf to protect for the little critters that love starch. BTW, that was when I lived down South and critters were plentiful.
I also use a flange guide 1/4" foot on my sewing machine for all my 1/4" seams. I even have another foot that is adjustable for sewing.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

When I first started out stitching the two seams on a square, I took the time to mark them.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by sewmagic View Post
I love the bloc loc tool. There is a You Tube demo, check it out!
I thought that was only good for cutting not sewing? I personally use a stiletto to keep everything in line at the edge.

if you're cutting squares to create hst instead of fussing with that dreaded 7/8" inch...just round off to the nearest whole number...after sewn and cut apart, you can "square up" to perfect needed size.....

Last edited by Geri B; 03-28-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:27 AM

My Columbus Treadle Machine was doing that with my stack 'n' whack pieces. They are all bias edges that need to be joined. Each one twisted as it came to the end. I found a stiletto helped to keep them in place. I use a wooden dowel sharpened in the pencil sharpener or a chop-stick. That worked very well to keep them in order until the last stitch was in.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:15 AM

While it may take a bit longer, I like Geri B's suggestion to make the hst's a bit longer and trim. That way you know you are okay.