Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half Square Triangles: Treat me so bad I'm in misery >

Half Square Triangles: Treat me so bad I'm in misery

Half Square Triangles: Treat me so bad I'm in misery

Old 07-20-2014, 04:36 AM

I find that heavy starch on the fabric makes is more like paper, and easier to cut without it shifting under the ruler or template.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:58 AM

I chain piece oversized squares together 1/4" on either side of the diagonal line, cut apart, iron to the dark and use the Bloc Loc ruler to square up. You can see a video on http://www.blocloc.com/ I just finished making 800-2 1/2" squares for a churn dash quilt and each one came out perfectly. Sure made my life sooooooo much easier. No affiliation, my LQS demonstrated them on Play Day and I was immediately sold.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:52 AM

I wrote on the bottom of this message and it says too short - I'm going to try and see if this divides - my note may be in the original one.
Originally Posted by auntieleela View Post
When I cut the diagonal, the rotary cutter always nudges the fabric over at the top a tiny bit, so my 2 halves are not the same size. Does anyone have a good trick for cutting these meanies?

Also, is there another way to chain piece them besides sewing the squares together then cutting them?I love triangulations - that's the software that lets you print out sheets of hst or flying geese - any size - you will never have a problem with them again. You take your two fabrics, put them face to face, lay a sheet of the size hst or fg you need and sew on the lines. I've found if my needle is just on the line but toward the seam side - gives that hair you need when you press to one side. I just made an Ocean Waves - 4,000+ hst and they are spot on. I also use the easy angle that Bonnie Hunter uses, but I always square with that method and it's just another step - no need to square with triangulations.

Thanks!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 05:53 AM

My message is in the original, second paragraph and I start with I love triangulations.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:59 AM

Love triangulations also ladydukes. Also forgot to say I use doodle pads from the dollar store. That paper is so pulpy it just crackes right off the sewn line - shorten your stitch a little bit - I generally use 1.5 stitch.
Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
The most perfect HST I've made is by using Triangulation software. It has every imaginable size, and they all come out perfect.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
I missed this. Thanks for sharing...Great idea...
Old 07-20-2014, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SimpsonFrances View Post
I like to make my HSTs slightly larger than I need and cut them down to size. I also ran across a product that isn't talked about as much called Stitching Lines. This product works wonderfully for me. I also use starch. Stitching Lines is simple a strip of paper that has the diagonal line and the sew lines marked. You take your squares right sides together and line up the strip on the diagonals then stitch on the sewing lines. The paper then tears away easily leaving your squares with the two sewing lines sewn. You then cut the square in half diagonally. Your cut could be a little off but it doesn't matter because the sewing lines are straight. Press the HST open and square it down. This works better for me than any other product because you can work just with the squares and don't have to have two larger pieces of fabric to start with. I make many HSTs but I don't always have larger pieces of fabric to start with (ie fat quarter). Stitching Lines can be ordered from their web site. The site is www.marinandcolusa.com. I have seen them in quilt shops but not very often. If you contact them, they may send you a sample free.
Just watched the video. Thanks for sharing. But, those things are quite spendy!! Would add up pretty quick I think.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:18 PM

There's also this paper method.

I've tried doing the add 7/8 to your fabric, drawing lines, cutting between, I always end up with curved stiching lines. (Haven't tried starching.)

http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Hal...-Triangle.html

I do like these. Oh, and I'm not affiliated.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:37 PM

I don't like the diagonal cut, I found I like the sew all around the square and cut corner to corner (big X) get 4 hst, or check the omnigrid web sight and use two strips sew done each side and flip, flop the ruler at 45degrees
Old 07-20-2014, 08:43 PM

I like Thangles, just sew, sew, sew then cut, cut ,cut.