Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Parlez vous Francais? >

Parlez vous Francais?

Parlez vous Francais?

Old 04-12-2014, 11:24 AM

Default Parlez vous Francais?

I'm going to Paris next month! I always look for local quilt shops when I travel so I thought I would check on the internet to see if there is one in Paris. Sure enough I found one! La Rouvray, run by an American living in Paris. My question is, what do I look for in French fabric? I know "toile" but not much else. Also web site said fabric runs about 18 euros/$23 per meter, so I won't be buying much! My DH has actually set aside some time for us to go to this shop, (instead of another museum or cathedral )
Thanks for any input!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Fabrics in Europe are very expensive.
http://www.inespatchwork.com Ines has french fabrics too.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:39 PM

You know I never even thought to look before we went! (Since I didn't have any luck in Rome) We were there last September. The weather was rainy and cold. But I would love to go back. We stayed in the St. Germain area. As usual, there were too few days for so much to see.

I hope you have a wonderful time. And I also hope you have lovely weather. Please report back about the fabric shop if you get there.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Four years ago I spent some time in the fabric district in Paris looking for quilt fabric & not having much luck. A saleswoman told me that all the quilting fabric comes from the US! Le Rouvray has a US website in English: lerouvray.com. DO GO TO THEIR WEBSITE! It says the shop is now closed (sounds like permanently).

Last edited by nanibi; 04-12-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-12-2014, 02:22 PM

most of the fabric is imported and something you can buy here. My sister brought back some lovely material from Provence. It had lavender sprigs, and other such French themes. Probably for the tourists, but it was lovely none the less.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel which is now shown on Create TV (PBS) had a show where they traveled thru Europe shopping for fabrics. I don't remember what countries her group visited but you might try to see if there are a list of her TV shows on her website. Good Luck and have fun !!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:12 PM

If you find one I would suggest checking the notions for inexpensive souvenirs for any quilting friends. I am a gadget junky so when traveling I always look for things I use everyday but with the country packaging. I would love to have a package of needles from Paris. Just think it would be so easy to pack too.

On my trip to Germany I brought back a bunch of carded buttons, that I found in a department store, for friends and some office supplies like paper clips and map tacks to take to the girls at work. Everyone loved them.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:18 PM

neat idea, Auntie V.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:47 PM

I've been to Paris many times and I must admit that I never thought of looking for quilting fabrics. Shame on me! there was always so much to do and I like to travel with light weight suitcases. and Paris is a huge city so ... I browse the net and I found some links that you might want to look at

what I would ask for if I was shopping for fabrics is: Avez-vous du tissu pour patchwork... yes patchwork is the word they use most of the time (I think) for quilts.
but fabrics is "tissu"
cotton is coton so almost the same as in english
patchwork or quilt

the site is in french but with "tissu" you will be able to get around. Il looks very expensive...
http://www.inespatchwork.com/PBSCCat...p?CatID=574007
also, on a french board somebody were saying: Merveilles de l'Inde située au 3 rue des Gobelins

and I found this on the site of Tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTo...de_France.html

have a nice trip!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Dotty, dotcomdtcm went last year, pm her for some info, she loved it there. said the food was to die for