Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half Square Triangles: Treat me so bad I'm in misery >

Half Square Triangles: Treat me so bad I'm in misery

Half Square Triangles: Treat me so bad I'm in misery

Old 07-23-2014, 04:11 PM

Ever try the wonder cut ruler? You make a tube and cut perfect HST's from that.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by birdhousebiddie View Post
I don't like the diagonal cut, I found I like the sew all around the square and cut corner to corner (big X) get 4 hst
But your HSTs wind up with four bias edges that way, plus the math to figure what size to make the original two squares to get the HST size you want is really nasty. You have to start with the finished size you want, add the ½" seam allowance, multiply that number by 1.414, and then add .75. Round up if (when!) you get an odd number. They may be easy to sew and cut, but that's all they have going for them.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:01 PM

What do you think of the magic 8 method? There are many tutorials showing the method. I've used it a few times and really liked the results. You decide on your unfinished hst size, double and add an inch (7/8 if you are very precise). Draw an X and sew 1/4 inch to either side and then cut corner to corner and again half way across and half way down (visualize a plus (+) sign).

I usually work with 4.5 unfinished half square triangles so double that to 9 and add 1. I then use two 10 inch squares to yield eight 4.5 unfinished hst blocks. Nice if you need more than a few identical blocks.

I also starch like mad and seam baste with glue. I find it drastically improves my precision. My first quilt (top still - I'm quite the newbie and I'm saving my very first top to be quilted by future me - hopefully with more skill) was a Giant Vintage Star based on a free design by Jeni Baker. It consists of sixteen 17 x 17 finished blocks, 12 of which are hst blocks. Those I did 2 at a time both for variety and because the magic 8 would need 2 squares measuring 36 inches apiece. : )