Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: hand applique prep has taken me hours!!!!

Okay, so I'm doing my first applique quilt. It's a very old fashioned pattern, flower and tulip, but it's taking me forever just to prepare the pieces. I'm using the freezer paper meathod and I'm about fed up. I really want some hand work for when I take my kids to the park etc. What meathod do you guys use? I thought about cutting the templates from cardboard and pressing the fabric around them, then removing the template and sewing. Hmm...what to do...

I had this same problem, then....

I cut out the freezer paper and iron it to the right side of the fabric, then cut the shape out keeping a 1/4" seam allowance all around, then I use elmers washable stick glue to hold it to the backing fabric and I turn the edges under with the needle as I sew. Saves so much time

I use the edge of the freezer paper as my guide and the paper keeps the piece straight. PM me if you have any questions. When done sewing I remove the paper

I did it at the beach last year

I do it very simply. I just cut out the pieces and do needlturn. Can take anywhere and do anytime without having a bunch of extra stuff with me. Just a ziploc with current block and good to go.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I do it very simply. I just cut out the pieces and do needlturn. Can take anywhere and do anytime without having a bunch of extra stuff with me. Just a ziploc with current block and good to go.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    me to :D

You can even trace your design on the front. When you needle turn, turn under just past the mark. No need for glue.

I wing it. Cut a shape and needle turn. No two blocks alike.