Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: GLUE

the other day i had an opportunity to visit a new quilt group. i have have no idea how long it has been meeting. there is a leader of the group and she has us making half square for a quilt she wants to make for a raffle . she was very specific how to press the squares and the quarter inch seam as some of the ladies were not consistent with it. and she was also showing everyone how to line up the squares and have the diagonal line with the square on the bottom. she also suggested that a dab of glue to hold the two squares together while sewing. this is where the glue came in. she also mentioned that there was going to be a demonstration with a popular quilting teacher at a guild meeting and she was going to bring everyone up to date on new methods of doing things and glue was one of them. So what are new methods

Blog Entries
    I often use a tiny dot of Elmer's washable school glue instead of pins to match seams before sewing. Tiny dot of glue followed by the iron to set it. If I need to open up the seam later, I just moisten with a fingertip to pull the fabrics apart.

Sharon Schamber has some videos on Youtube that show how she uses glue to apply binding.

Blog Entries
    let us know how it works out..but i don't think you need glue...curious

I use elmers washable glue sticks for piecing for two reasons.

1) It is difficult for me to handle pins.
    2) The matches are much better than when I use pins.

It washes out when the quilt is done, as Prism99 said.

Just make sure you purchase WASHABLE glue, not permanent glue. My piecing is greatly improved since I found out about using glue instead of pins.

I also watched Sharon Schamber's video on utube. I had never heard of gluing, but she is a professional quilter, so she must know what she's talking about...lol.

My quilts are just everyday things (not professional), so I don't think I'll take the time to use that method, but it was interesting to see the methods being used.

Here is one of her links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

Once you are on her page, you can see the others.

Blog Entries
    i have been using her method of putting on bindings with elmers school glue, for a long time..

just never thought of using it to line up seams!

If measurements are done right and sewing is consistent, I don't think glue is needed, but if it works for her, great.

I use glue when doing applique,,,,, sure makes it easier!!

Blog Entries
    Elmer's School Glue is a super thick starch. It will wash out when the quilt is washed, so if it helps--Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    If measurements are done right and sewing is consistent, I don't think glue is needed, but if it works for her, great.
    Yes! I agree with you. Glue? Come on now. I got out of the second grade 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Yes! I agree with you. Glue? Come on now. I got out of the second grade 30 years ago.
    this board is a friendly place, please dont forget that. No quilt police allowed

Blog Entries
    I don't glue my fabric, but I think it is wonderful that there is a method that can help people who struggle! I made a couple of blocks years ago that I think glue might have saved some frustration.

I taught beginning quilting a few years ago and there were a couple of people that I would have recommended this method to.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I use both the stick glue and roxxane's basting glue. Both work well, helps keep the binding in place instead of pins. No more poked bloody fingers!!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Now that was mean.

I'm sure Sharon Schamber has been out of second grade for many years too. However, she is a three time time Best of Show winner at Houston. When you can beat her record we'll drop the glue.

Every one is different and has different methods for doing things. No one method is right or wrong, just different.

I too have been out of second grade for MANY years, however I am not OLD either so maybe I shouldn't be quilting, period! :|

I just picked up the bottle tips tonight while I was at Michael's. There are sometimes that I will start pinning a project together and get pulled away having to do something with the kids or around the house. I am always worried that one of the kids or a cat will get ahold of a pin. I don't have the money to have one removed from a cats gut. and I sure in the heck don't want to deal with a husband who has just stepped on one. therefore....I am going to start glueing some seams instead of pinning. Like on bargellos!

I've done many bindings without it, but tried the glue method on a small project that I wanted to machine finish. It actually worked quite nicely. I will use it again when I don't want to hand-sew the binding. (I, too made it out of second grade)

I started using glue for applique the landscape quilt I'm working on. Fantastic ... if I don't like it I simply lift it off. I use the stick as I find it much easier to work with.

And yes, thinking when I do regular piecing again (when I finish this quilt) glue is a fantastic alternative especially for piecing strips.

No pins means: no holes in the fabric, no pins that I have to remove lest I sew on top of them, no broken needles, no fallen pins on the floor (room is carpeted), no pricked fingers or tongue (yes I keep them in my mouth), faster sewing time (faster to match strips plus I don't waste time removing pins).

So I really don't care how long I've been out of school. If we went by the theory of "it wasn't done back then" then we might as well give up our machines, our rotary cutters, all of our fancy specialized rulers, and ... the QB.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftoholic
    I use glue when doing applique,,,,, sure makes it easier!!
    Oh my! Why didn't I think of that? Thank you for saying it!!

:roll:
    What matters with anything I do or learn is what works for me, not what anyone thinks of what works for me.

Glue doesn't work for you? You don't like the idea of using glue to quilt? Don't use it. I happen to need it; it makes it easier and, just as important, more enjoyable for me to quilt.

I have used glue with paper piecing to keep my fabrics from flopping the wrong way; to hold applique in place and to hold batting in place while doing little 4" quilt as you go blocks. "Whatever works" is my motto!

Thank you for posting this tip. I will have to try it.

Blog Entries
    Using Glue is so much safer for those of us on blood thinners. I bought a very small bottle that I refill from the cheeper larger bottles. The small bottle is easy to handle and takes up less space on my ironing board.

Quote Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
    Using Glue is so much safer for those of us on blood thinners. I bought a very small bottle that I refill from the cheeper larger bottles. The small bottle is easy to handle and takes up less space on my ironing board.
    Have you tried the glue sticks? You can get Elmers School Glue in package of 3 or 4 cheaply at the dollar store. You might find it easier than bottled glue. It is temporary and washable. I took an applique class that used freezer paper and glue sticks as an alternative to needle turn

Blog Entries
    :roll: I know lots of grownups that use glue. Me included. In fact I still use markers, colored pencils and even crayons sometimes.

There's nothing wrong with using things like glue to make things easier. If you don't want to, fine, but don't disparage those that choose to.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast