Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hand quilt stippling

I hand quilt and I want to stipple quilt a doll quilt I just finished. My question is where on the quilt would I start. I usually start in the center and work out to the edge. Would I do the same for stippling?
    Also if any of you have suggestions on how to make this look good, I would appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Wow! I can't imagine stippling hand quilting. I love to hand quilt, but my time is so limited I don't get a thing done on my quilts. So I'm no help. Just wanted to say hello.

Blog Entries
    I think I would start in the middle and work out.

Since it's a doll quilt, I would look for a finer thread than normal, especially if the stippling will be close together. Otherwise you could find that the thread stiffens the quilt too much. With a fine thread, I would definitely use beeswax to help keep it manageable.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just saw a quilt last weekend, totally hand stippled..about a medium sized stipple..it was stunning and awe inspiring!

perhaps you can find a stipple pattern online to copy, or make your own and then make your own stencil...I have seen the stipple stencils for hand quilting though!

Blog Entries
    I have hand stippled a quilt or two. I use a stencil and start in a corner so that the design is placed progressively across the entire quilt. When I quilt it, I start in the center as usual. I would never wing hand stippling without the stencil because for me following a line of some sort gives me straighter stitches. Good luck with yours!

Blog Entries
    I have hand stippled a quilt or two. I use a stencil and start in a corner so that the design is placed progressively across the entire quilt. When I quilt it, I start in the center as usual. I would never wing hand stippling without the stencil because for me following a line of some sort gives me straighter stitches. Good luck with yours!

I think I would start in the center of the quilt and work towards the edges. You can use different "patterns" like cross hatching, echo, hanging diamonds or a meander line.
    The circle on the pictures I have stippled in stripes and marked the "fishbone" every inch or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by appliquequiltdesigns
    I hand quilt and I want to stipple quilt a doll quilt I just finished. My question is where on the quilt would I start. I usually start in the center and work out to the edge. Would I do the same for stippling?
    Also if any of you have suggestions on how to make this look good, I would appreciate it.
    If you hand baste the layers together well, then it doesn't matter where you start.

Look on Youtube for Sharon Schamber's basting video. The only change I make is that I baste much more closely than she does, my herringbone stitches are only about an inch apart rather than the 3 inches she uses.

Once I'm done hand basting a quilt sandwich, it would take some sort of major disaster to make it shift (like maybe being dumped into the washing machine with a load of tennis shoes!).

I have stippled by hand, but only with a stencil. I always start at the center of the section and quilt toward the edge, like I do all quilting, so I won't quilt in any wrinkles. I use hand quilting thread. I don't notice that it makes a quilt stiff any more than any other close-stitching method, like cross-hatch or parallel lines. You can find different stippling stencils on-line, but if you go really small-scale, you might lose the pattern in hand quilting. I wold go with a medium or large scale stipple, unless you are really good at fine, small hand stitches. (I'm not, so I'm just speaking from my own experience.)
    Eternity is a very long time -- especially toward the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt View Post
    I think I would start in the center of the quilt and work towards the edges. You can use different "patterns" like cross hatching, echo, hanging diamonds or a meander line.
    The circle on the pictures I have stippled in stripes and marked the "fishbone" every inch or so.
    Absolutely amazing Borntohandquilt. Have never seen any handquilting so tiny and intricate. You are my hero!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast