Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilters question >

Hand quilters question

Hand quilters question

Old 12-04-2012, 12:41 PM

I've been using a Q-Snap pvc frame for a couple of years now. I have it tilted forward on added legs to ease back pain.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM

I lap quilt. I used a hoop for a while but had to keep moving it from area to area...so back to my lap. I've done all sizes too.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM

I use a frame for baby quilts or larger. But for smaller wall hangings, I sometimes use a hoop in a frame or a table-top hoop. There is a woman in my guild who never uses a frame and her quilting is beautiful.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Normally use a 14" hoop that works great sitting at the kitchen table, or resting on the arm of my chair. But, I also have a round (larger) rotating floor hoop that I really like, and DH made me several lap stands that allows the attached 12" (& 14") round hoops to move 360 and tilt back and forward or side to side. The lap stands are really great because you don't have the weight of the hoop resting on your arm - also works super if you are riding in a car (passenger of course). Haven't been able to master quilting with my thumb so I'd be pretty much useless around a floor frame.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 PM

I use Vonda's Quilt Frames. I found them online and love them. I originally thought I was going to get my grandmothers frames, but my aunt could not remember what she had done with them, and that turned out to be a good thing. I tried a hoop, but could not get the control I needed. Check Vonda's Quilt Frames out on line, and I think I may have seen a demonstration on YouTube, but can't be positive. The things I like most is that it is easy to set up. I can do it all by myself. A full size bed quilt took me about 45 minutes. Also, I can set them up to do anywhere from a baby to a king size quilt. So far, I have only done a lap/nap size and a full bed size quilt. When I am thru, I can break them down and they fit in a nice box with a carry handle, so I can put them in a closet. Grandma's frames had to be placed on top of rafters in the garage because they were all one piece.

At the Houston Quilt Festival, I saw a nice little floor frame on a stand that I would also like to have. My cousin who was with me did buy it. I was thinking it would be nice to have that for quilting smaller projects where I could be in the family room with my husband while I quilt. That is the only draw back to Vonda's frames, is that I set them up in my sewing room, so usually sew alone, except for the cat.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 AM

When I first learned to quilt, someone gave me a copy of Georgia Bonesteel's lap quilting hoop, and I've done it that way every since. I can control my stitches better if I can turn my quilt the way I'm sewing. I think each person has a way that works for them and they are all definitely different.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM

I lap quilt. I break my quilt up into sections, usually about 36" to 40". Then I attach them with QAYG. Have done blocks to wall hangings to queen size quilts. Love to hand quilt while watching TV. Have tried hoop and also frame, but they cause my fibro to flare.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM

I have gone through several changes in my hand quilting process. I have done everything from small wall hangings to huge king size quilts. I have a small floor frame, I like it but when quilting a pattern that curves, it is difficult to use. My arms only twist so far!!! i don't really use that anymore. I have a large hoop, and that works well so I can sit on the couch and work... I have done a few, small pieces without any hoop....And as it has been said before, BASTE WELL!
Ellen
Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM

I have never done lap quilting, except around the edges...I would love to try it since I get much neater stitching when doing this...Is basting the most critical thing to do?