Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting after  Elmer's Glue basting? >

hand quilting after Elmer's Glue basting?

hand quilting after Elmer's Glue basting?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:09 AM
IQ2

Default hand quilting after Elmer's Glue basting?

Hello All--I've been following the Elmer's Glue basting threads with great interest....but I just took a hand quilting class where the instructor said you can't use spray adhesive for basting when hand quilting because it would cause too much drag on the needle. Has anyone hand quilted with Elmer's glue basting?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM

I would imagine that would be too hard on the hands. I don't even use glue to bind anymore because if I'm a little heavy handed in spots with the glue, it is very hard to get the needle through.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 PM

I don't think I'd try it, but that's me. If I'm not mistaken, the person who initially interested me in quilting used to spray baste and she only hand quilts. If you know someone who has some, maybe make a small sample of each and see how it works out for you???? Don't know that I'd want to spend the $$ on the spray if it wasn't going to work.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I have heard of hand quilters successfully using spray basting. Brand probably matters; I would use 505. Also, you need a light hand applying it.

I would not use glue to baste if hand quilting. It hardens and would be difficult to get the needle through.

Another basting option is to machine baste with water-soluble thread.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 PM
IQ2

Thanks, Fellow Quilters---that's what I kind of thought, but was hoping to hear that someone did it and it worked fine.
The hand quilting instructor advised us to actually hand-baste with needle and thread. Guess I'll stick with her suggestion. I'm going to start with a small lap quilt, so the basting shouldn't be so terrible. (Learned a tip from her: for basting, use bobbins with just little quantities of thread left to use them up and not waste thread from the spool. )
Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 PM

I used Elmer's Washable School Glue on a binding once. And that's all Iwill ever do that. The glue did make it very difficult to stitch through. It didn't feel like I was putting the glue on too thickly, but must have. So it is quicker for me NOT to use the glue if I'm hand stitching.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
Hello All--I've been following the Elmer's Glue basting threads with great interest....but I just took a hand quilting class where the instructor said you can't use spray adhesive for basting when hand quilting because it would cause too much drag on the needle. Has anyone hand quilted with Elmer's glue basting?
I have used 505 Adhesive Spray hand quilting and it worked FANTASTIC!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 AM

I also spray baste with 505 and hand quilt. I have never had a problem.