Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand Quilting Book?

tmg
    What would be a good book to get to learn to hand quilt? I am wanting to give it a try but I don't have anyone to teach me so I have to learn from books.

Thanks

I learned from books. I like "That Perfect Stitch" by Roxanne McElroy. Ami Simms also has a good book on it, and Rodale Press has a very comprehensive book.

But, you could probably search You Tube and find videos to show you how, too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    I learned from books. I like "That Perfect Stitch" by Roxanne McElroy. Ami Simms also has a good book on it, and Rodale Press has a very comprehensive book.

But, you could probably search You Tube and find videos to show you how, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My favourite book is "The Essential Quilter" by Barbara Chainey. I also like Roxanne McElroy's book (great information about fabric, battings, threads etc.!).
    You can also look for "Fine Hand Quilting" by Diana Leone & Cindy Walter or "Winning Stitches" by Elsie M. Campbell.

I also have The Essential Quilter and love this book. Lots of great pictures and ideas as well as patterns for quilting designs.

I am self taught as well but did not find books of much use to me because I do not quilt like all the books instruct. I use my index fingernail and thumb fingernail to push the needle through. Practice doing it is what helped me more then anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tmg
    What would be a good book to get to learn to hand quilt? I am wanting to give it a try but I don't have anyone to teach me so I have to learn from books.

Thanks
    I use one book called "The Quilting Answer Book" by Barbara Weiland Talbert that I got off of ebay. Its been great since I didnt have a clue where to start and nobody to really ask.

I dont even use a quilting frame or thimble..I use the top of my dining room table with roll up clips to keep the quilt neat and tidy while I work
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I also have The Essential Quilter and love this book. Lots of great pictures and ideas as well as patterns for quilting designs.

I am self taught as well but did not find books of much use to me because I do not quilt like all the books instruct. I use my index fingernail and thumb fingernail to push the needle through. Practice doing it is what helped me more then anything.

I too learned from an Ammi Simms book. I read several books and hers was by far the easiest to follow.

Banned
    "How to Learn to Hand Quilt in a Day" (and practice for the rest of your life) by Nancy Brenan-Daniels.