Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand Quilting and Flannel Backing

I am putting together a little baby quilt top which I plan to learn to hand quilt on. I had a piece of fabric from Goodwill that I planned to use for the backing, however when I unrolled it, it turned out to be two pieces of fabric cut odd sizes instead of one length, so I am thinking I will use a piece of flannel from my stash for the backing.

My question is: will using flannel for the backing make it significantly harder to quilt? I am using a thin polyester batt. I know my husband's grandmother quilts by hand with flannel backing all the time, but as a beginner, I don't want to make it much harder than I have to.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
    Also, I plan to use a hoop. Can I baste with safety pins or should I go ahead and baste with needle and thread?

Blog Entries
    Maybe make a practice sandwich to see if you are going to like it? :D:D:D

Amma - that is a good idea. I hadn't thought about it, but of course when I am doing machine quilting I do a practice piece first.

I've used quilting pins, and they help tremendously. Your quilts come out with no wrinkles or creases in the backing. I have also found that quilting clamps from Home Depot help when rolling your quilt to sew. Try it, it works!
    Stephanie

I haven't had any problems hand quilting a flannel backed quilt. The stitches on the back may be smaller than those on the front.