Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sit-down long arm machine - need advice please

The good part first: I know what I dont want :lol:

I do not want to set up a frame and I am almost sure, that a machine with a 9" throat would not make me happy either.

I found the following models.

APQS George (with $ 8000 too expensive)

Nolting quilting bee and HQ Sweet sixteen have the Machine lenghswise on the table. One time I turned my domestic machine that way to quilt and had problems to see the needle in that possition?

The queen quilters eighteen has the machine the same way on the table like a domestic machine.

I also found the Baileys home quilterpro and the price would be great, but I dont know whether it could be set up on a table.

Can you please help me with your experience as I will not have the possibility to try the machines out. I would also need a dealer willing to send internationally.

Thanks so much for reading
    Granny

Banned
    I had a 9" throat and rarely used it. If you can afford it get bigger.

Blog Entries
    I got the HQ Sweet Sixteen in November, and I am completely in love with it. You can adjust the height of the table, I have mine the same height as the cabinet my other machine is in, so that I don't have to alter the height of my chair, but you could have your table higher so as to be nearer to seeing the needle.

Also it is possible to get an open toed foot, but so far I don't feel as if I need it. It also came with a whopper of a bobbin winder, and the big bobbins hold a phenominal amount of thread, especially if you use the thinner type specially made for bobbins.

It's very good tempered for going in any direction too, and the tension seems good even with different thread top and bottom. So far, I haven't been brave enough to go above 50% of the speed she goes, but I am working up to it.

Above all, the SPACE is the bestest thing about it.

I live in Ireland, and got mine from The Cotton Patch in the UK. They were really great, and negotiated a cheaper delivery for me too. You can tell them Lesley from Sligo recommended it to you!

Blog Entries
    I've been looking at the ones you can sit at too...the tin lizzie is one and I know there are others...does anyone have one they like???

Dear Lacelady

how much did you pay - looks a lot more expensive than in U.S.
    How does it feel to have the machine "the wrong way around"?
    And are you running on 110 or 220 volt?

Blog Entries
    The only thing I would add is that when you turn your domestic machine, it turns your needle the wrong direction for threading. The HQ and Nolting will have the needle direction toward you so you won't have problems threading it in this position.

I have a Bailey on a frame, I don't see why you couldn't use it on a table, it would be like turning your domestic machine because that's what it is, a stretched Janome. I love mine.

Good to know thank you. did you ever sew on those machines?

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I have a Bailey on a frame, I don't see why you couldn't use it on a table, it would be like turning your domestic machine because that's what it is, a stretched Janome. I love mine.
    Is it good quality or did you have some kind of problems with it? As I would not be able to send it back to the US for repair I would need a very reliable machine that every sewing machine mechanic over here could take care of.

I was thinking the same looking at pics of the machine and the price is unbeatable.

Banned
    I have a Bailey 15", but I use it on a frame. There is someone on the Bailey Yahoo usergroup that is using theirs on a table, so I know it's possible.

Blog Entries
    A sit down long arm sounds like a good option for those of us who don't have the space for the regular long arm and frame. I'd ruled out ever being able to get a long arm but now maybe it's possible. I'll keep watching this thread for opinions from those who have used them.

I was not able to find the vertical size of the throat of the baileys machine. Can anyone help out?

Blog Entries
    before investing you should do a little traveling if at all possible and try out/check out as many different ones as you can find...then make a choice. just because mine works for me does not mean you would be happy with it. my mom has a sewing machine which cost over $5000 when she bought it (a long time ago) she loves that machine...I HATE THAT MACHINE!
    it is an investment and should not be made just because joe-blow down the block says this one is a good one.... if you would not buy a car that way do not buy a sewing machine that way...you need to think of it the way a man thinks about his power tools...he knows to buy the best quality most expensive he can afford-so it lasts.
    i am very happy with my HQ-16 which is a stand up system, not a sit down one; but really wish i had checked out a few more before getting the one i have...not because i didn't get a good machine, but because there is no where close for tech support or service.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    before investing you should do a little traveling if at all possible and try out/check out as many different ones as you can find...then make a choice. just because mine works for me does not mean you would be happy with it. my mom has a sewing machine which cost over $5000 when she bought it (a long time ago) she loves that machine...I HATE THAT MACHINE!
    it is an investment and should not be made just because joe-blow down the block says this one is a good one.... if you would not buy a car that way do not buy a sewing machine that way...you need to think of it the way a man thinks about his power tools...he knows to buy the best quality most expensive he can afford-so it lasts.
    i am very happy with my HQ-16 which is a stand up system, not a sit down one; but really wish i had checked out a few more before getting the one i have...not because i didn't get a good machine, but because there is no where close for tech support or service.
    As I live in Switzerland there would be more than a little traveling required............
    I do depend on your opinions and on a mechanical machine that every mechanic can take care of.

if you have a technician that you'll be depending on for maintenance, definitely ask for his/her opinion. he'll also know if anyone in your vicinity has one that you can 'visit'.

I also have the HQ sweet sixteen sit down and love it more every day! I am still practicing and hope to get better in the future. I have had it about two months.

Quote Originally Posted by annyroony2
    I also have the HQ sweet sixteen sit down and love it more every day! I am still practicing and hope to get better in the future. I have had it about two months.
    Do you have a good view on the needle? How is it that its turned different than a domestic machine?
    Thanks for all the feedback
    Granny

I also just got a HQ 16 it came on the 19th of Dec. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It's not a sit down, but I sit down an awful lot at my little machine. I bought mine used it had quilted about 15 quilts (couldn't find a dust bunny anywhere). Came in the original box and all. Found it on the HQ16 page. It is such an easy machine to operate very basic our local Bernina dealer services and sells them because they rarely have issues and anyone who owns a Bernina knows how wonderful they are. Are they less expensive to buy in Switzerland (berninas)?

Believe it or not : they are more expensive over here!
    They say it is because of currency exchange.......I still sew on my 1630 and I love to piece on it.

where did you buy the HG16?

Blog Entries
    I have the Tin Lizzie and love it. It doesn't have bells and whistles, but it has an 18" throat, and that is great. It fills a bobbin as you stitch, so you always have a full bobbin ready to go. It doesn't have a stitch control, but with a bit of practice the stitches are fine. The price and the space was right for me too...as well as it being a sit-down.

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by annyroony2
    can I ask about what you paid for it... I have been looking but not ready to spend the $$$$

If you find one you think you might like, call the manufacturer and see if anyone has one near you. Call them and get their opinion and ask if you can see and test machine. I think most quilters would be happy to find someone else interested in quilting and in their machine. I know someone that has a long are and she knows others that have them too. Once a year they schedule maintenance at the same time as the person has to come some distance to do it and it makes it easier to do several in one area at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice
    If you find one you think you might like, call the manufacturer and see if anyone has one near you. Call them and get their opinion and ask if you can see and test machine. I think most quilters would be happy to find someone else interested in quilting and in their machine. I know someone that has a long are and she knows others that have them too. Once a year they schedule maintenance at the same time as the person has to come some distance to do it and it makes it easier to do several in one area at a time.
    Hi Spice

No longarms in this part of the world! I found four people in switzerland and germany that custom quilt on big APQS machines and thats why we have to pay for the quilting $ 400 and up for a queen.............
    The biggest it gets here is Pfaff grand quilter and Janome 6600. I want it bigger, much bigger :lol:

Blog Entries
    I have one concern...I could not get the concept of free motion quilting on a regular sewing machine...just couldn't do it...what is different on the sit/down HQ16? don't you have to move the quilt around the same way?

yes you have to move the quilt. I am very inexperienced in FMQ but I am sure that it is not more difficult than moving the machine.
    I even think that moving the machine is more difficult unless you have all this computerized help.
    It is just the matter of having enough space to move the quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast