Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hand Quilting Frame

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    145

    Hand Quilting Frame

    Morning everyone. Well hubby just agreed to allow me to buy a hand quilting frame. I did some research and I think I really like the Grace Hand Quilting frame, the Z44, it goes from crib size to king size. I figured anything smaller than a crib size quilt I can use a quilters hoop for. So my question is...does anyone have the Grace Z44? do you like it? is there anything I should know about it?

    The only issue hubby has with me getting it is where it is going to go until I get my quilting room done this spring. I was going to work on it sooner but since there is no heat out there right now and we aren't putting the wood burning stove in the house for supplementary heat until spring, I would be really upset with having the room done and not be able to use it. I mean the small things like cleaning it out, taking the walls down to insulate and run the wiring will be getting done over the next couple of months, but the actual room won't be ready until March or April.

    Rosie the Wyldwytch
    Grab a bull by the horns and enjoy the ride....

  2. #2
    Senior Member Hinterland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    887
    I don't have a Z44, but a friend of mine has it. She liked that she could put it together herself, and it didn't weigh a lot.

    Hubby has a point, but doesn't the Z44 fold up when you're not using it? Good luck with your purchase!

    Janet

  3. #3
    Super Member 117becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dayton OH
    Posts
    1,372
    i'm jealous that you have space for something that big! LOL!!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    145
    Yes, if I remember correctly it does fold up when not in use. Of course by the time I order it, receive it and put it together I should have a handful of quilt tops ready for quilting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    I don't have a Z44, but a friend of mine has it. She liked that she could put it together herself, and it didn't weigh a lot.

    Hubby has a point, but doesn't the Z44 fold up when you're not using it? Good luck with your purchase!

    Janet
    The only reason i am going to have room is because I am spending money to turn my enclosed back porch into a craft room that can be used all year round..LOL Trust me, hubby is not thrilled I am spending the money, but it is money that I won from a workers comp lawsuit. I figured the least I could do for myself was put a down payment on a car (did that, bought a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe with 30K miles), make my craft room (the room is already there, just needs heat, new sliding glass doors, flooring and more electrical run out), and get one big purchase for my quilting (this is the big purchase since I decided I would rather hand quilt large projects versus FMQ, the small projects can be FMQ'ed).

    Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    i'm jealous that you have space for something that big! LOL!!
    Rosie the Wyldwytch
    Grab a bull by the horns and enjoy the ride....

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Chula Vista CA
    Posts
    2,542
    My husband was teasing me one time when I had a frame set up and i told him to be nice or it will go on his side of the bedroom. We didn't have a spare room at that time and it did fold up enough and finally ended up on his side of the bedroom because he didn't want it in the living room. After that I bought the Hinterberg floor quilt hoop - takes up much less room and I can position it easier.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    mcalester ok
    Posts
    419
    I have a Grace EZ3 frame. I loved to look at my quilt in the frame. I was only able to quilt one quilt on the frame as I started having problems with my shoulders and wrist. It was just too tall for me as I am only 5' tall. I even learned to quilt away from me. I started out quilting on a hoop and I have gone back to a hoop - Harry Barnett's hoop. Love this hoop.
    Linda

  7. #7
    Super Member Yarn or Fabric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,397
    You guys are going to flip right about now... I was at a thrift store and there was a hand quilting frame there. it said 6 pieces... there were only two (the side pieces) it was missing the rails. I went in there and the color tag was half off that day... and I knew someone looking for a hand quilting frame... I actually found the rails... and took it to the checkout and it rang up as 99cents... all those color tags were 99 cents that day so I scored a hand quilting frame - with two lengths of rails, 5' and 10' I believe... and my friend has no place to put it so it's in my garage... well. It looks like I might be keeping it after hearing that I can baste quilts using that frame! It's been at least 2 months and I haven't heard from her so I'd say it's just about mine. Once I put leaders on the long frames, it will be mine. The shorter poles already has leaders..

    Okay... so the point of my story, not to be gloating about my score, was that you should totally check for used ones. Check your Craigslist. I have seen those Grace hand quilting frames on CL fairly often. You can do a sitewide search by doing a google search for " Grace Hand quilting frame site:Craigslist.org " and you'll come up with every single one listed (mostly current, as you click through the pages you'll start seeing ones that were removed or expired). There's a few up there right now. I'm not sure where you live since your location is blank but you might find one within driving distance or near a relative or friend who might be willing to pick it up. You'll be able to save a lot of money on it which you can spend on batting or fabric

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    145
    I will have to check it out, and not sure why my darn location isn't showing up. I'm in New Jersey...

    Rosie the Wyldwytch

    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    You guys are going to flip right about now... I was at a thrift store and there was a hand quilting frame there. it said 6 pieces... there were only two (the side pieces) it was missing the rails. I went in there and the color tag was half off that day... and I knew someone looking for a hand quilting frame... I actually found the rails... and took it to the checkout and it rang up as 99cents... all those color tags were 99 cents that day so I scored a hand quilting frame - with two lengths of rails, 5' and 10' I believe... and my friend has no place to put it so it's in my garage... well. It looks like I might be keeping it after hearing that I can baste quilts using that frame! It's been at least 2 months and I haven't heard from her so I'd say it's just about mine. Once I put leaders on the long frames, it will be mine. The shorter poles already has leaders..

    Okay... so the point of my story, not to be gloating about my score, was that you should totally check for used ones. Check your Craigslist. I have seen those Grace hand quilting frames on CL fairly often. You can do a sitewide search by doing a google search for " Grace Hand quilting frame site:Craigslist.org " and you'll come up with every single one listed (mostly current, as you click through the pages you'll start seeing ones that were removed or expired). There's a few up there right now. I'm not sure where you live since your location is blank but you might find one within driving distance or near a relative or friend who might be willing to pick it up. You'll be able to save a lot of money on it which you can spend on batting or fabric
    Grab a bull by the horns and enjoy the ride....

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hinterland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    887
    Yarn or Fabric has a good point - hand quilting frames and some hand quilting hoops go very cheaply on eBay, and possibly on Craigslist. There aren't many quilters who have room for or want a hand quilting frame.

    Janet

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.