Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting frame >

hand quilting frame

hand quilting frame

Old 07-02-2010, 07:22 PM

do you have one you would recommend? i prefer to sit on the couch and quilt after a long day at work in an office chair. size of quilts will vary from crib/baby quilts to queen. i like the old fashioned, flatter batting, not the puffy stuff. i'm trying to be reasonable with the price too. wouldn't be totally opposed to having my dad make one if there is a good "pattern"
Old 07-02-2010, 07:40 PM

I don't have a pattern for a quilt frame. I have a quilt hoop that is on a pedestal that sits on my lap. It rotates and tilts to suit my position. I think that Keepsake Quilting has one in their catalogue. I really like it and have used to to make quilts from pillow size to queen size bed quilts.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 PM

I bought a 18 inch round hoop from ColonialNeedle.com for $7.65 that allows me to sit in my chair and watch tv. I have a larger oval hoop that can be used with or without the stand but I find that a little cumbersome when I want to sit back in the chair.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 PM

I use a round 17" hoop from Joann's. It is not wood. I think it is maybe a fiberglass or something similar. I like it better than the wood ones as it is smoother and has a "tongue and groove" on the inside to help secure the quilt. I've had it for some time. I think under $20.00.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:12 PM

I use a Q Snap frame. I have a 11"x17" for borders and a 17"x17" for regular size quilts. the Q Snap is nice because you can adjust the tautness without having to remove the quilt from the frame.

you can get a lot of quilting done before you need to move the frame to a different part of the quilt.

I have had mine for years and they work really well.

Janie
Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cathie_R
I use a round 17" hoop from Joann's. It is not wood. I think it is maybe a fiberglass or something similar. I like it better than the wood ones as it is smoother and has a "tongue and groove" on the inside to help secure the quilt. I've had it for some time. I think under $20.00.
I found this at Hobby Lobby, it will be my next splurge..I thing the tongue and groove will really help hold the quilt. I have several 20-22 hoops and one large oval one that I use all the time. I have a quilting table a friend built me but with my back problems I cant use it. :D
Old 07-03-2010, 12:47 PM

I've been using a lap frame for a couple of years. I bought it from Jean's Impressions. She's the lady who sells and teaches using the Aunt Becky tool (for the "thimble" underneath the quilt. It's a 14" frame and costs $51. I have quilted up to full size on this.

I just recently bought a Grace Handquilting Frame with stand. I have a queen size quilt to do and didn't want to use Jean's Impressions for so large a quilt. It is a fantastic frame, and costs @$300 new.

I was lucky enough to find one for sale on the quilt board! You might want to keep your eyes open. It saved me a lot of money!
Old 07-03-2010, 01:05 PM

I just bought the Ulmer Frame and really like it. It's Amish made and easy to move.