Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting in a hoop >

Hand quilting in a hoop

Hand quilting in a hoop

Old 11-03-2016, 09:21 AM

I'm new to this forum. I haven't done it in awhile but I used to do spoon basting for large quilts. Tape the back of the quilt to the floor (has to be one that pins either won't bother or you don't care), next put on the batting then the top. From the top use your needle to go through the 3 layers and holding a spoon where you want the needle to come out you push the needle into the spoon and the needle pops back up to the top of the quilt. I start basting in the middle of the quilt and go outward. When I was taught this I was told it was an old traditional method of basting. I then use a hoop to hand quilt but one that is freestanding so no problem with the weight of the quilt. I've done queen size quilts this way. I still have a spoon in my notions box.

Cheers (and I'm happy I found this forum). Susan

Last edited by jellicocat; 11-03-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:43 AM

I'm on my 3rd year of hand quilting a Dresden type king sized quilt! I used (and always use!) Dream Orient batting. Its my thing to do during watching football. I spread it on a table and don't use a hoop. No need to hurry!
Old 11-03-2016, 12:43 PM

I also use the Sharon Shamber's method of basting the quilt and I have 8 foot boards that I use. It takes a bit longer but you have so much control to prevent puckers in the back. I have done several queen sized quilts this way. I then quilt using a plastic 14" square "Quilt 'N Go Lap frame by Dritz(small PVC pieces). I used to quilt "hoop less" and thought that the back was looking good but it ended up having puckers. This new 14" frame is wonderful.
I also agree that WOOL is the way to go....so much easier to quilt through....like butter! Next time I would like to try bamboo batting (not sure on the cost of it). Start in the middle and remove basting as you go.. This quilt will look wonderful when you are finished!!!
Old 11-03-2016, 12:45 PM

My 88 year old Mom hand quilts using a hoop. She positions the quilt so that the opposite edge of where she is quilting rests on a table or something similar to help with the weight.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
Oh how beautiful and how lucky is your friend!!!!

I quilt in a hoop when i travel. I take the large hoop and "hang" it on the back of the desk chair in the hotel rooms. That will support the weight of the quilt. I would start in the middle of the quilt and work my way out - yes, it's a long way, but that's the best way I have found.

I would roll/fold up the quilt on the one side I wasn't working on to control all the extra fabric.

I hand baste my quilts before quilting. Yes, it takes some time, but i just take the radio plan on taking a few hours to do it.

I finished a Grandmother's Flower Garden that my aunt pieced by adding a border to it. That allowed me to square off the quilt. I was pleased to find some coordinating fabric. Of course, my aunt's quilt was more scrappy in nature which made it easier to add fabrics.

Good luck and enjoy finishing it so that it can be enjoyed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561511[/ATTACH]
I agree with Becca's comments, hand basting in a radial fashion from corner to centre, 3" apart on my knees on floor, and used the dining table to take the weight and a circular hoop when hand quilting. I used Mountain Mist wool wadding 30+ years ago on my GFG and SID from the centre of quilt outwards around each hexagon. My hexagons look larger than those in your quilt! Your quilt is beautiful and a treasure. Good luck with quilting whichever way yo[ATTACH=CONFIG]561560[/ATTACH]u choose.
Attached Thumbnails 102_3117.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Just wondering about hand basting, how far apart are the basting lines - or does basting echo design/blocks ??
I learned from books 30+ years ago and hand basting should be 3" apart at each corner point then works closer towards the centre in a radiating fashion, like sun rays; hope this helps
Old 11-03-2016, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by jellicocat View Post
I'm new to this forum. I haven't done it in awhile but I used to do spoon basting for large quilts. Tape the back of the quilt to the floor (has to be one that pins either won't bother or you don't care), next put on the batting then the top. From the top use your needle to go through the 3 layers and holding a spoon where you want the needle to come out you push the needle into the spoon and the needle pops back up to the top of the quilt. I start basting in the middle of the quilt and go outward. When I was taught this I was told it was an old traditional method of basting. I then use a hoop to hand quilt but one that is freestanding so no problem with the weight of the quilt. I've done queen size quilts this way. I still have a spoon in my notions box.

Cheers (and I'm happy I found this forum). Susan
I'm sure you'll be pleased to have joined the QB - we need all the help and inspiration from each other that we can get, so "welcome" from me and more happiness and satisfaction ahead.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:27 PM

Here is my Honeycomb hexagon made about 27 years ago, also SID around each hexagon but without any wadding at all; I wanted a summer bedspread/counterpane in olden days! Simply used backing fabric and it was only a double size.[ATTACH=CONFIG]561561[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 102_3111.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 04:43 PM

I recommend wool batting also. Since winter is coming, it will make cozy evening work hand quilting using a hoop.

Enjoy!
Old 11-03-2016, 09:32 PM

Default hand quilting in a hoop

Originally Posted by Ada Shiela View Post
Here is my Honeycomb hexagon made about 27 years ago, also SID around each hexagon but without any wadding at all; I wanted a summer bedspread/counterpane in olden days! Simply used backing fabric and it was only a double size.[ATTACH=CONFIG]561561[/ATTACH]
I apologize for mis-informing you earlier, the Honeycomb hexagon was tied about every 6" with fine crochet thread, not SID. The tie method is easier for smaller hexagons, but as I said earlier, I did not put batting inside because I wanted a summer weight bed cover. Hope this might be a better suggestion than quilting.

Last edited by Ada Shiela; 11-03-2016 at 09:34 PM. Reason: additional info