View Single Post
Old 11-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Ada Shiela

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
Oh how beautiful and how lucky is your friend!!!!

I quilt in a hoop when i travel. I take the large hoop and "hang" it on the back of the desk chair in the hotel rooms. That will support the weight of the quilt. I would start in the middle of the quilt and work my way out - yes, it's a long way, but that's the best way I have found.

I would roll/fold up the quilt on the one side I wasn't working on to control all the extra fabric.

I hand baste my quilts before quilting. Yes, it takes some time, but i just take the radio plan on taking a few hours to do it.

I finished a Grandmother's Flower Garden that my aunt pieced by adding a border to it. That allowed me to square off the quilt. I was pleased to find some coordinating fabric. Of course, my aunt's quilt was more scrappy in nature which made it easier to add fabrics.

Good luck and enjoy finishing it so that it can be enjoyed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561511[/ATTACH]
I agree with Becca's comments, hand basting in a radial fashion from corner to centre, 3" apart on my knees on floor, and used the dining table to take the weight and a circular hoop when hand quilting. I used Mountain Mist wool wadding 30+ years ago on my GFG and SID from the centre of quilt outwards around each hexagon. My hexagons look larger than those in your quilt! Your quilt is beautiful and a treasure. Good luck with quilting whichever way yo[ATTACH=CONFIG]561560[/ATTACH]u choose.
Attached Thumbnails 102_3117.jpg