Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Questions >

Hand Quilting Questions

Hand Quilting Questions

Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
When I teach someone to handquilt, I have them buy a cheap preprinted panel for a baby quilt. Sandwich it (I use safety pins no farther apart than the size of your hand...you shouldn't be able to put your hand on the quilt without touching a pin.) And then I have them outline quilt on the panel. If there are large spaces without stitching you can mark diagonal lines in those areas or so some other shape in that area.

When you are done you can bind it give it to someone to use (I've never ONCE heard a baby complain of the stitching on their quilt! LOL)

That way you haven't wasted your stitching time (hand quilting takes time!)
That sounds like a good idea, and I already do have a baby panel that I could practice with. Also, you're right...I have found babies to be very uncritical quilt recipients.

:mrgreen:
Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Thank you to everyone for the tips! I went to the library today and checked out some books. I am thinking that when I get the technique down a little, i'd like to try some wholecloth with celtic knot designs (found a book dealing specifically with those). It's all very exciting, I want to start right now, but I have already dedicated next month's quilting time to finishing a queen quilt for my bed that I've been working on for a long time.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Good luck and enjoy!!!! I enjoy handquilting too. For me it is very relaxing.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:57 PM

Hand quilting is all I have ever done. I have always used a PVC frame. Thimbles just don't work for me. I have to feel the needle. Finally got some rubber finger tips, cut the ends off to fit my fingers and I really like them. I probably could never be fingerprinted. I have stuck my fingers so much, callused over, and filed finger tips to the point that there is probably no pattern left to my fingers. Ever so often, I would stop quilting a few days to let my fingers heal. No longer with the rubber tips.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by ganny
Hand quilting is all I have ever done. I have always used a PVC frame. Thimbles just don't work for me. I have to feel the needle. Finally got some rubber finger tips, cut the ends off to fit my fingers and I really like them. I probably could never be fingerprinted. I have stuck my fingers so much, callused over, and filed finger tips to the point that there is probably no pattern left to my fingers. Ever so often, I would stop quilting a few days to let my fingers heal. No longer with the rubber tips.
Boy do I understand your statement. If I can I use my fingernail to quilt with, I feel I have more control that way. I also found the Nibble Thimble and the Thimble Pads are something I can also use and they're not restricting.

Butterflyblue - whatever way you choose to do it - HAVE FUN!!! Don't get over critical of yourself sit back and ENJOY!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by ganny
My late grandmother couldn't be fingerprinted. She'd literally worn off her fingerprints from decades of sewing and crocheting. She always got the biggest kick out of them unsuccessfully trying to fingerprint her when she'd get her driver's license renewed. :lol:
Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 AM

Yeah, I like to use my fingernails. I usually end up having to file them down, too, because I damage them by using them so much.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM

I make strips of blocks, sandwich them and quilt them by the strip. Then you can take it with you if you want, you can pin it easily with several pins. Its easy to turn and quilt along. Then you put the strips face to face, stitch the top only, trim the batting to lay flat and slip stitch the backing in a row. Then you quilt where you have attached the rows.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-104064.jpe   attachment-104065.jpe   attachment-104144.jpe   attachment-104145.jpe  
Old 08-25-2010, 09:14 AM

I make strips of blocks, sandwich them and quilt them by the strip. Then you can take it with you if you want, you can pin it easily with several pins. Its easy to turn and quilt along. Then you put the strips face to face, stitch the top only, trim the batting to lay flat and slip stitch the backing in a row. Then you quilt where you have attached the rows. I am now working on the edges of this Mammy quilt you see. I will quilt strips for the sides and for the top. Then bind it all after those are added. I don't use a hoop. I just quilt on my lap turning as needed.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:37 AM

Rhueluna, I LOVE your work! You put so much affection in it...hopefully you know what I want to say!