Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting >

hand quilting

hand quilting

Old 09-24-2016, 01:29 PM

On my long folding table, I just use an old pair of crutches - used to use 2 boards - one on either side of me and weighed down with painted rocks! This allows me to sit a little bit under the quilt to be able to get to the more central areas. I put a flat pad on my lap to help support my arms in my lap. Its not perfect but sure does work for me and I'm glad football season has started so I can sit in front of the TV while quilting!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558834[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails hand-quilt-2.gif  
Old 09-24-2016, 02:07 PM

I have a 24" quilting hoop that I use for hand quilting. I put the part I am working on, in the hoop, sit in a comfy chair, stand a dining room chair in front of me sitting with the back to me. I drape most of the quilt on the seat of the chair, pull the hoop towards me, and rest the top of the hoop on top of the chair back. I can quilt, and move as needed to stay comfortable this way, and when I take a break, I can stand up and put the hoop on the chair seat, and pick it back up as I return to sitting. The secret to making this work is a big hoop to stretch between me and the chair back. Works for me.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:24 PM

My first time hand quilting I did it without a hoop - like Lynnie, I didn't know there was such a thing. Then I found a full sized quilting frame at a yard sale. It wasn't one of the big heavy ones, it was one I was able to put together and store it in the garage, because it would go flat against the wall when not in use. When I did use it, it just took up too much room, so after using it to make a couple of quilts it was sold in a yard sale once again. And then I found the Hinterberg hoops with the stands and loved them. I have a couple of the hoops and a frame for embroidery/needlepoint. I have a glider chair to sit in while using the hoops. It's a comfortable chair and easy to get in and out.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:30 PM

At the Madison WI quilt expo, we saw "The Weightless Quilter". It is a floor frame engineered to support the weight of a quilt. It was meant for machine quilting, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for hand quilt. It hold the quilt up and away and our of your way as you work on a section. It ONLY costs about $250. Check it out at
www.HeirloomQuiltingDesigns.com

Sorry, the weightless quilter is not at that site. Maybe you could contact her if you are interested. I think she invented it, and that may have happened recently.
I have seen others hang their quilt from the ceiling with elastic bands.

Last edited by maviskw; 09-24-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:02 PM

Found the link for the Weightless Quilter: http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/weig...r-p-32861.html
Old 09-25-2016, 03:53 AM

I have a large oval hoop (as opposed to a round one) that suits me when I feel I need one. But mostly, I go hoopless and sit on the couch to quilt. That way I put the bulk of the quilt on the seat beside me while I work on a particular section.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:32 AM

Right know i'm quilting two quilts and its hard for me to quilt in just a circle frame. It has still been too hot to quilt so I have to have the air on me to keep from getting too hot. It is hard to find a comfortable way to quilt.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:43 AM

I quilt with a hoop and sit on my couch in front of the tv. The couch holds up the weight of the quilt. It's good to do this in the winter. I also have a floor stand hoop that I love. The feet are way large so it doesn't tip over. When I had puppies, I thought it was cute that they were getting under the quilt parts that layed on the floor...until I discovered that they were pulling the batting out of it. No wonder they were so quiet.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:54 PM

I use a lap frame, it has a pedestal that rests on my knees, keeping the weight of the quilt away from me and it pivots on two large wooden balls so it's easy to change direction.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:03 PM

I use a floor frame that Is made of pvc. snaps together, is adjustable and tilts. This works wonderful for me. I bought it from HSN sometime ago for 99.00. Now Hobby Lobby carries them and with coupon is a real buy. This also stores in a very small box for storage. love this frame. I have quilted all sizes on this with no trouble.