Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand Quilting

I have never hand quilted a bed size quilt. What would you suggest to be the best lap frame or frame to put the whole quilt on is their a brand that is better than another and what is your favorite way to mark quilt

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to the lap hoop I like above all others I have tried:
    http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...APTOP-HOOP.htm
    It is easy to tilt to any angle and there is nothing underneath to get in the way of the hand.

To start with, I'd use a quilting hoop - mine cost all of $4 each. For a bed size quilt a hoop about 14 inches in diameter should work fine. Remember not to have the quilt too tight in the hoop. You need some flex in order to quilt.

I usually mark as I go along, using washable graphite pencils and chalk for dark fabric.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I use a lap hoop or no hoop at all- mobility is very important to me :)

I baste the entire quilt sandwich and use a lap hoop but mine is just the hoop by itself with no platform. I have basted with needle and thread and safety pins. I remove the basting threads or pins as I go.

I have marked a couple of different ways. One, I starched the quilt top and marked lightly with a graphite pencil. This quilt I marked in it's entirety before quilting and the marks held up. Because of the starch the graphite marks came out when I washed it first time but I have heard sometimes graphite does not come out. Fons and porter has a special water soluble one that I have also used and it came out fine but again the top was starched before any marking.

The one I am currently working on I mark as I go. I am using transdoodle transfer paper and the fons and porter mechanical pencil with the white lead.

For straight lines and grids I have used painters tape or I have used my ruler and a clover chaco liner. With both of these methods I mark as I go.

thanks for all of the ideas i think i will have daughter baste it on the long arm and try a hoop

My hand quilting is done using no hoops. I start from the center out.