Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting - What is the cost? >

Hand quilting - What is the cost?

Hand quilting - What is the cost?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:29 AM

Default Hand quilting - What is the cost?

After reading another thread here about hand quilting and some of you doing it for profit, I wondered if you could post your prices. I do NOT want to do it. Just wondering what it costs to have something hand-quilted. I have had a couple folks who aren't quilters say that they have tops that need finished but they want them hand-quilted. (Ones some family member started and never finished).Having done a couple a few years ago, I know that it is not for me. I can not do that needle rocking thing nor can I wear a thimble and feel like I have any control so I will stick to doing my SITD way. Anyhow, I know that LA quilers charge by the inch so I was just wondering how you hand quilter ladies charge?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:45 AM

I mostly hand-quilt-that is how I was taught about 18 years ago-but I would never do it for anyone else because it takes so long and would keep me from doing my own (I tend to work on only one project until the last stitch is sewn on the binding!). Machine quilting is quicker, and therefore, the rate per hour/per inch makes sense-you can get a bed-sized quilt done from between $100.00 for simple meandering, to $200.00 for custom quilting. There maybe people there who just want to hand-quilt (which was me many years ago-hated cutting and piecing), but doing it for someone would cost too much if paying by the hour or inch. They would be doing it for the love of it. Just my opinion-----
Old 02-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

we have a section for members to list their professional services http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...s-t169702.html but it seems that no hand quilters are listed. perhaps the members interested in this post want to contact PatriceJ to be listed.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM
MTS
Banned

I remember this post about a wonderful group that does hand quilting - with ridiculously economical prices.
Here's a link to the post that mentioned rates, but definitely go to the beginning of the thread to read the OP.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post3294029
Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM

i cant even imagine putting a price on all that work
Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 AM

I generally charge about $1.00 per running yard of quilting stitch. I can usually figure it out pretty well by taking one block and measuring how much quilting will be in it, and multiply by the number of blocks. borders are usually easy to add up the quilting too.