Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting without a frame? >

Hand quilting without a frame?

Hand quilting without a frame?

Old 10-25-2014, 05:51 AM

I hand quilt certain quilts that just need hand quilting & never used a hoop. Large or small it is on my lap!!
Old 10-25-2014, 05:57 AM

It has taken a while, but unless you plan on entering a quilt in a show, I have learned, your quilt, your rules. Get advise, but it is your quilt. I, also, hand quilt without a hoop.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
Here is the orphan block top that I would like to hand quilt. I like the ironing board idea and will try it.
Wow how cute is that! I wish you success with hand quilting it!
Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

My mother always used to tell me how the ladies of olden times used to hand quilt this way and did beautiful work.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:54 AM

There are books out on lap quilting. There is no one right way to do anything. I was thinking that maybe you could wear one of those wrist braces that would help to keep your wrist from moving.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I have done very little hand quilting of quilts because of my carpal tunnel syndrome - too many years as a secretary. However, I did quilt my DD's full size quilt, I can't even remember the pattern now, and that's the only one. I sat at my former dining room table, which had been moved to my basement sewing room, and since it was summer, had a fan under the table to keep me cool, I used a large hoop, but it was supported on the table, with my cat Mischief occasionally trying to catch the needle. I had seen someone hand quilt without using a hoop, and I actually did a couple small quilts using that method and I liked it a lot. To all you hand quilters out there I applaud you, but it's just not something I can do.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:19 PM

I love to see hand quilting and have quilted two large quilts by hand but I do mostly machine quilting now. I agree with everyone that you do whatever way is more enjoyable and comfortable for you.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:42 PM

I have tried for years to do hand quilting, trying different kinds of frames and hoops. No matter what method I have tried, it makes my wrist ache outrageously and I have had to stop. I got pretty good at FMQ but I am working on an orphan block quilt and the designs will require too many stops and starts on my machine. I am thinking about using the method to quilt a large quilt on a domestic machine - cutting the batting into thirds and basting a section at a time, then quilting each section on my lap. This will allow me to puddle the fabric without bulk so I can maintain the tension. Has anyone tried this or have any other ideas?
I had the idea to do it in 12"" or so inch blocks. Then connecting. Would make it portable...
Old 10-25-2014, 02:40 PM

I have tried for years to do hand quilting, trying different kinds of frames and hoops. No matter what method I have tried, it makes my wrist ache outrageously and I have had to stop. I got pretty good at FMQ but I am working on an orphan block quilt and the designs will require too many stops and starts on my machine. I am thinking about using the method to quilt a large quilt on a domestic machine - cutting the batting into thirds and basting a section at a time, then quilting each section on my lap. This will allow me to puddle the fabric without bulk so I can maintain the tension. Has anyone tried this or have any other ideas?
I have not used this method except for small sections as a quilt as you go. However, a member of my group always quilts by hand without a hoop. She has good results and seems to treat the quilting as an embroidery. She does a small section at a time and then moves onto the next, and does not do more than a light basting to keep the sandwich together.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:34 PM

lynnie.....Oh my gosh girl, your post flabberghasted me!!!! "300 quilts" you did by hand and never used a hoop. Wow what an accomplishment. What do you do in your sparetime? LOL