Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand sewn binding >

Hand sewn binding

Hand sewn binding

Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Question----------Am I understanding that you want to hand sew the binding twice------------once to get the binding ONTO the quilt and then again to finish off the binding ?

Nosey Question? Why do you want to use hand stitchery?
No-I would stitch it on by machine first then hand stitch it to finish it off on the back. I sometimes enter small projects at local county fairs, and I have had several people tell me it looks better if it is hand stitched onto the back. I did enter a wall hanging last year, and just used a slip stitch to finish the binding to the back, and the judges left me a note telling me to "watch the stitching on the back", which led me to believe I should have used a different type of stitch, but hand stitching has never been my strong point and I don't really care for it, so I wasn't sure what I should use for a stitch.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...ml#post5042028

Here's another link that I found really helpful. I'd never used the stitch before seeing this but I loved the results.

Thanks for the link. I have heard of the ladder stitch but have not done it. I will check this site out to see if I can learn it.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tammi M View Post
No-I would stitch it on by machine first then hand stitch it to finish it off on the back. I sometimes enter small projects at local county fairs, and I have had several people tell me it looks better if it is hand stitched onto the back. I did enter a wall hanging last year, and just used a slip stitch to finish the binding to the back, and the judges left me a note telling me to "watch the stitching on the back", which led me to believe I should have used a different type of stitch, but hand stitching has never been my strong point and I don't really care for it, so I wasn't sure what I should use for a stitch.

I'm going to guess they meant only the length and hiding of the stitches--stay as uniform as possible. Just go slow. Not a thing wrong with a slip stitch.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If I sew the binding on the front and fold it to the back for hand sewing, I use the ladder stitch for a nearly invisible finish. I use one strand of hand quilting thread that matches the colour of the binding. I like it for strength and because it tangles less.
If I am going to do machine binding, I like to use Charismah's method for quick machine binding with flange. There is a tutorial on QB.
I would really like to see charismah's tut. How do I find it. Used to know how to look for tutes on the old site but haven't figured this one out yet. thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 06:48 PM

Love the idea of a double thread and knotting every few inches. I have a quilt ready to hand sew the binding - will try this.