Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand sewn binding

Hand sewn binding

I have never sewn my quilt binding on the back of the quilt by hand. I generally sew it to the back by machine, and then fold it over the front and sew that by machine also. If I were to stitch it by hand to the back of the quilt, what suggestions does anyone have as to the stitch I should use?
    Thanks-I really enjoy the suggestions I find on the Board!

Blind hem stitch and SMALL stitches. Usually about 1/4" is what I use. If you are planning to show it, the stitches need to be pretty much invisible and close enough together so that you can't insert a pinkie fingernail in the gap between the stitches. I do mine while watching tv and it usually takes anywhere from a couple of hours (for a baby quilt) to several evenings for a king size.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

I would suggest the ladder stitch, here is this you tube video. Others may have other ideas that work for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CjOXMuTFXo
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Awesome thank you for the link!

I use a double thread and small stitches. I think it makes a more secure binding if you incorporate a knot in the stitch every few inches. I understand that judges like to see the mitered corners stitched down on both the back and the front--I don't know that for sure, but it is something I have made standard practice.

Dayle

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...ml#post5042028

Here's another link that I found really helpful. I'd never used the stitch before seeing this but I loved the results.

I do mine by hand, I like the look better than machine sewing it on. I use the ladder stitch.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    If I sew the binding on the front and fold it to the back for hand sewing, I use the ladder stitch for a nearly invisible finish. I use one strand of hand quilting thread that matches the colour of the binding. I like it for strength and because it tangles less.
    If I am going to do machine binding, I like to use Charismah's method for quick machine binding with flange. There is a tutorial on QB.

Blog Entries
    I have problems with my hands. When I used to sew bindings on by hand, I did a simple overcast (? not sure of the name) stitch because I could not handle the blind stitch. The thread shows, but not much, and actually I like the look of the hand sewing. The simple overcast stitch goes much faster than a blind stitch too. I made a small knot every few inches, just so that if a thread ever broke it wouldn't unravel the entire binding. Repairing this kind of hand stitching is very easy. I used just a single strand of thread.

Blog Entries
    I generally use a double thread that matches the binding color and do a very small slip stitch, similar to an applique stitch.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Another quilter on this board (I think it was Kitsie--but don't hold me to it, lol), blanket stitched hers down and it was gorgeous!
    Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi M View Post
    I have never sewn my quilt binding on the back of the quilt by hand. I generally sew it to the back by machine, and then fold it over the front and sew that by machine also. If I were to stitch it by hand to the back of the quilt, what suggestions does anyone have as to the stitch I should use?
    Thanks-I really enjoy the suggestions I find on the Board!
    Question----------Am I understanding that you want to hand sew the binding twice------------once to get the binding ONTO the quilt and then again to finish off the binding ?

Nosey Question? Why do you want to use hand stitchery?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I machine stitch to the front, then ladder stitch on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
    Blind hem stitch and SMALL stitches. Usually about 1/4" is what I use. If you are planning to show it, the stitches need to be pretty much invisible and close enough together so that you can't insert a pinkie fingernail in the gap between the stitches. I do mine while watching tv and it usually takes anywhere from a couple of hours (for a baby quilt) to several evenings for a king size.
    This is my method too. Oh, and I use hand-quilting thread as it seems to be stronger that all-purpose thread.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Blog Entries
    I use a single strand of regular sewing thread, sewing by hand on the back with the blind hem stitch. I like the finish it gives. Even though I have entered quilts for judging, I have never sewn my mitered corners shut, and I wasn't ever marked down for it. But I believe it depends on the judge and the professional level of the show.

invisable applique stitch

I use two threads and do a blind hem stitch. Learned to do it that way years ago. I like the other methods posted here too.

would anyone know where I could find a Long and Winding Road Bargello quilt pattern so I don't have to purchase the complete book?

Thanks
    SCC

Name:  ma ba quilt 2.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  888.9 KB

I am open to suggestions for quilting my quilt for some fantastic friends.

Thanks
    SCC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happysteve View Post
    would anyone know where I could find a Long and Winding Road Bargello quilt pattern so I don't have to purchase the complete book?

Thanks
    SCC
    You might try looking at your local library if you know the author. I'm afraid that your question will get lost in this "thread" about hand-sewn binding. Try posting again in the "looking for" section.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    Question----------Am I understanding that you want to hand sew the binding twice------------once to get the binding ONTO the quilt and then again to finish off the binding ?

Nosey Question? Why do you want to use hand stitchery?
    No-I would stitch it on by machine first then hand stitch it to finish it off on the back. I sometimes enter small projects at local county fairs, and I have had several people tell me it looks better if it is hand stitched onto the back. I did enter a wall hanging last year, and just used a slip stitch to finish the binding to the back, and the judges left me a note telling me to "watch the stitching on the back", which led me to believe I should have used a different type of stitch, but hand stitching has never been my strong point and I don't really care for it, so I wasn't sure what I should use for a stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...ml#post5042028

Here's another link that I found really helpful. I'd never used the stitch before seeing this but I loved the results.

Thanks for the link. I have heard of the ladder stitch but have not done it. I will check this site out to see if I can learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi M View Post
    No-I would stitch it on by machine first then hand stitch it to finish it off on the back. I sometimes enter small projects at local county fairs, and I have had several people tell me it looks better if it is hand stitched onto the back. I did enter a wall hanging last year, and just used a slip stitch to finish the binding to the back, and the judges left me a note telling me to "watch the stitching on the back", which led me to believe I should have used a different type of stitch, but hand stitching has never been my strong point and I don't really care for it, so I wasn't sure what I should use for a stitch.

I'm going to guess they meant only the length and hiding of the stitches--stay as uniform as possible. Just go slow. Not a thing wrong with a slip stitch.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    If I sew the binding on the front and fold it to the back for hand sewing, I use the ladder stitch for a nearly invisible finish. I use one strand of hand quilting thread that matches the colour of the binding. I like it for strength and because it tangles less.
    If I am going to do machine binding, I like to use Charismah's method for quick machine binding with flange. There is a tutorial on QB.
    I would really like to see charismah's tut. How do I find it. Used to know how to look for tutes on the old site but haven't figured this one out yet. thanks
    Molly O

Blog Entries
    Love the idea of a double thread and knotting every few inches. I have a quilt ready to hand sew the binding - will try this.
    Quilting in the Desert