Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handheld crafting iron >

Handheld crafting iron

Handheld crafting iron

Old 04-02-2011, 05:35 PM

I have the clover mini iron, it was used once....and I got a third degree burn on my index finger! no fun. I don't know that it will be used again! lol
Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 PM

I use mine for starch method applique but it doesn't have all the different tips...works well and gets hot...also have a small mini iron that is great for pressing seams open and I like it when I am tired as I have bad wrists and it is light to handle...
Old 04-02-2011, 05:52 PM

I had one and sold it. Hated it. Burnt my fingers, not hot enough for fabric, but was for skin.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:46 PM

I have the one that comes in colors and use it all the time. It gets really hot and works great on my applique projects. I got it at JoAnns for half price ($5.00)
Old 04-02-2011, 06:53 PM

I've had the older clover for years and just puchased the new one with the interchangable tips last week at Joanns with a 40% coupon. One thing I learned with my other one was not to use the little stand they give you. I reached over one time and grabbed the wrong end, and ended up with a nasty burn. It's like grabbing a curling iron on the hot end. (never done that) When using the little iron I got a crock and started putting it in that with the handle sticking out. No more burned hands because the hot end is in the crock. Put the crock on a padded surface as it can get pretty hot.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella
I use mine for starch method applique but it doesn't have all the different tips...works well and gets hot...also have a small mini iron that is great for pressing seams open and I like it when I am tired as I have bad wrists and it is light to handle...
I know this is getting off the subject but your furbaby is gorgeous!! :-)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I have the original Clover and once I learned (here on this board! ;) ) that you have to cycle it off and on a few times to get it to heat up enough, it's been great for the starch-method of preparing applique pieces.

I'm thinking of getting one with interchangeable tips, though. The plate on this one is actually too big sometimes - a wand shape or a very small flat shape would work better on some pieces.

I also have a cute little Sharptek iron that is really great for this type of applique, for pressing seams on blocks and for paper foundation piecing. Aside from being cute as can be, they're really good for places where you need a larger sole plate. http://polymerclayexpress.com/equip.html
I just ordered the Sharptek iron. I think as clumsy as I can be this would be better for me than the one I was originally looking at and especially after reading how some have burned themselves with it.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by KimS
I just ordered the Sharptek iron. I think as clumsy as I can be this would be better for me than the one I was originally looking at and especially after reading how some have burned themselves with it.
I burned myself on the wand-type a few times too, but you get used to handling it differently real quick! That little iron teaches you respect! ;)

What I like about these smaller irons is that when you're trying to pull a seam allowance flat on a tiny little applique piece, you can get the irons right up next to your fingers and not burn yourself - you feel the heat, but not like with a full-sized iron.

With the Sharptek, the cord kept pulling out of the side (disconnecting itself) so I unplugged it from the wall, pushed the plug very firmly into the side of the iron and coated the join with E6000 silicone glue. Let it sit for a couple of days and problem solved. :)

I just got the new Textile Tool by Walnut Hollow in the mail today - one of the ironing plates is only about 1/4" long, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

One of the tips is a stencil burner/cutter - but I don't think that's going to help much with the no-melt mylar template material. I tried cutting that stuff with a soldering iron and it did not cut a clean line at all - big bubbly blobs along the edges. Maybe I can use it to cut quilting stencils, though.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:40 AM

I bought a similar one at JoAnn and it didn't get hot enough for applique. Returned it and bought a small full size iron that I like (Sharp). I do a lot of starch and press applique and a sharp edge and point really seems to help.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Apparently a lot of the mini-irons don't get hot on the first try. You have to plug/unplug them a few times to get them to reach a good temperature for starching appliques.

I can't imagine why it works, but I actually had to turn the heat down to medium after I'd used it a few times.