View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by KimS
I just ordered the Sharptek iron. I think as clumsy as I can be this would be better for me than the one I was originally looking at and especially after reading how some have burned themselves with it.
I burned myself on the wand-type a few times too, but you get used to handling it differently real quick! That little iron teaches you respect! ;)

What I like about these smaller irons is that when you're trying to pull a seam allowance flat on a tiny little applique piece, you can get the irons right up next to your fingers and not burn yourself - you feel the heat, but not like with a full-sized iron.

With the Sharptek, the cord kept pulling out of the side (disconnecting itself) so I unplugged it from the wall, pushed the plug very firmly into the side of the iron and coated the join with E6000 silicone glue. Let it sit for a couple of days and problem solved. :)

I just got the new Textile Tool by Walnut Hollow in the mail today - one of the ironing plates is only about 1/4" long, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

One of the tips is a stencil burner/cutter - but I don't think that's going to help much with the no-melt mylar template material. I tried cutting that stuff with a soldering iron and it did not cut a clean line at all - big bubbly blobs along the edges. Maybe I can use it to cut quilting stencils, though.