Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handprints painted on quilts >

Handprints painted on quilts

Handprints painted on quilts

Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 PM

Default Handprints painted on quilts

I want to make a quilt of my GGS's hand prints but don't know what type of paint to use on their hands . I am guessing that their hands will have to be covered with the paint so they can put their prints on the fabric. It has to be able to wash off hands but how do I make it set on the fabric. Are certain brands better than others. Thanks so much for any input at all.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 PM

Years ago, I used the acrylic paints and added a medium. Might be something better out there now.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

Above all it must be non-toxic, so I would look at the paint they use for finger painting. Try it with your own hand and see how it goes after you wash the square.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Power Poster

I found this old thread:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t113864.html

I did this many years ago (over 15!) with children in my daughter's class at elementary school. As I recall, I used fabric paint purchased at Michael's or Dick Blick's. I poured the paint into paper plates for the children. Helped them press a hand into the plate, then helped them place the hand on a prepared fabric square and pressed down on the hand to make a good imprint.

Found this link to what I think is the type of paint I used:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/cr...kTracking=true

Last edited by Prism99; 05-25-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:55 PM

I did this when my last daughter was born. She's 10 now and she is #5 so I had her siblings do their handprints on a blanket. We used craft finger paint from Joann's permanent. It still is intact after many washes. No fading or flaking
Old 05-25-2013, 11:07 PM

Years ago, the Church made a quilt for the pastor's new baby. There were signature squares for older children and adults to sign. The borders were the little children's hand prints.

Used Jacquard or Luminere from Joann or Michael's. During Sunday School, an adult brought 1 child at a time to my station. He held the child and I held the child's hand. Dipped the hand in paint then pressed it down on the fabric. If it didn't turn out, we did another. The child and hand were immediately taken to the sink and washed thoroughly. Then the hand print was labeled with the child's name. The children were thrilled with their hand print and it was a hit with the adults and pastor/family.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:17 AM

My sister and I made a quilt for our parents 50th wedding anniversary and we used the hands of our siblings on blocks. We traced their hands and then added something on the block for each person . We then embroidered their hands and the center block of the quilt had their wedding date on it. You could do something like this instead of using paint.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:25 AM

There is a book " Calendar Kids" by Marcia Layton. It shows handprints made into objects pressed onto fabric. It's really cute. Look it up, she suggests water based acrylic craft paints mixed with fabric or textile medium. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
There is a book " Calendar Kids" by Marcia Layton. It shows handprints made into objects pressed onto fabric. It's really cute. Look it up, she suggests water based acrylic craft paints mixed with fabric or textile medium. Good luck!
She has two books out the Calendar Kids (her 2nd book) and Handprint quilts (her 1st). Here are some pictures of handprint pillows I made with 2 elementary school classes. I used the large bottles of regular acrylic paint and fabric medium you can find on the glue/modpodge aisle at Michael's or other craft store.
Attached Thumbnails blog-191.jpg   blog-430.jpg  
Old 05-26-2013, 02:26 PM
yel

i just did a quilt for the school kids ....we had them draw their hands and color them with crayons ...heat set