Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handquilters: Have you tried this hoop? >

Handquilters: Have you tried this hoop?

Handquilters: Have you tried this hoop?

Old 01-08-2017, 09:02 AM

Default Handquilters: Have you tried this hoop?

I just saw a video of a hoop from the thimblelady that I have never seen before. It looks wonderful but it's quite expensive so I'm wondering if anyone uses this one. It sits above your lap and takes the weight of the quilt off your body. It looks like it would be less stressful to the neck/shoulders. I googled thimblelady to find her (I was actually looking for her $50 thimble that someone else had posted about temporarily losing) and I stumbled upon this. Now I wonder is it worth it? I don't hand quilt that much anymore but oddly have 2 going right now. I would post the link if I knew how lol.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

is this the one you are referring to?
http://www.thimblelady.com/copy-of-quilting-hoop/
Old 01-08-2017, 09:14 AM

http://www.thimblelady.com/copy-of-quilting-hoop/

If I've done it correctly, here is the link (I think). I have a similar hoop/stand combo that sits on the floor, holding the hooped quilt over your knees. I think this one you've mentioned is designed for you to sit on the "T" part?

Interesting design.... sorry I can't speak to how effective it is.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Banned

Looks very uncomfortable to me, since I kick back in the recliner with an 18 inch hoop, one edge on my lap, one on the chair arm
Old 01-08-2017, 11:48 AM

It's only 14" in diameter, and I like a 22" hoop, so it's way too small for me. I'm looking for a hoop on a stand that i can travel w/.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I have a lap hoop that I love, but it's no longer made. One similar to mine would be the Grace lap hoop, which gets very good reviews:
http://www.graceframe.com/site/hoops
https://www.amazon.com/Grace-PolyPro...+quilting+hoop

All of the hoops -- the Quilting Thimble lady hoop and the Grace hoops -- swivel and have very little in the way of the underneath hand, so in those respects they are very comparable. The difference is that with the QT hoop, you sit with your legs on top of the stand. With the Grace lap hoops, the bottom part sits on top of your lap. I am a bit old and clumsy, partial to comfort, and didn't think I would like to have my legs sitting on top of wood. That's one of the reasons I went with the type that sits on top of the lap. As I said, I love mine. Having it sit on top of my lap is not a problem at all and both of my hands are free to quilt. I would never go back to juggling a plain hoop, and I think I prefer a lap hoop to a floor hoop. A floor hoop would always be in the way of someone or something in my house.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:19 PM

I have ordered this quilt frame from Thimble Lady along with a package of her needles and I should receive them this week. I received a starter kit from her before the holidays and since I started hand quilting about 35 years ago it was hard to change the motion of my hands at first but now I love it because I have arthritis in my thumbs and her method doesn't make my hands sore and no more pricked fingers on the underside hand. I will let you know about the frame when it arrives.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
Looks very uncomfortable to me, since I kick back in the recliner with an 18 inch hoop, one edge on my lap, one on the chair arm
i agree, it looks very uncomfortable. i quilt the same way as you do, popover. i use oval hoop for large quilts & an old roller frame from my cross stitching days for miniature quilts. i can balance the oval hoop & quilt on arms of chair & no problem witht the weight. as i have advanced spinal disease & sitting causes intense pain, any sitting is in short time periods. so the need to get up and spread quilt on bed and reposition frame as needed is good exercise for the aching back & stiff knees.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:28 AM

I have her needles, book and DVD. I've found I don't like a hoop but love her other things and just quilt w/o a hoop!
Old 01-09-2017, 04:24 PM

Since my lap frame decided to give out on me (that lap frame lasted over 30+ years) I ordered a Barrett lap frame and absolutely love it. I have a 14" square hoop with a bean bag base. I know 14" sounds small but I'm not big of a person and it is a perfect size for me. If anyone wants to check them out, here's where they can be found .....
www.laptophoops.com