Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone heard or used this thread? >

Has anyone heard or used this thread?

Has anyone heard or used this thread?

Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 PM

Default Has anyone heard or used this thread?

I got an email today from Coats&Clark. They had it listed under Quilt Market Product Preview. They also had the Phoomph listed, which I have seen advertised for a while now, so the thread might not be "brand" new. Anyway, the thread is called Dual Duty XP paper piecing. I am toying with the idea of trying PP again, as the first time was a traumatizing disaster that has lasted a few years.
I know you can probably use any thread, but I keep thinking that if I start looking at PP projects, get the "right" thread, etc. that I will jump in and just do it. Joann's has a 50% off all thread purchased coupon right now, so it would be a good time to try it, if they have it. Anyone seen it or used it?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

WOW, that is interesting new! I have done pp with normal thread. I don't know where JAF would display the thread since the Coats & Clark display is always full. I would be interested in knowing what outstanding properties does this thread have for doing PP. Is it something that we really need to add to our collection of threads???
Old 10-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Banned

if what you have been using works then why change. I don't understand a special thread for paper piecing.
That sounds like my invention - the left handed needle.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:21 PM

You mean all I have needed all this time for beautiful handwork is a left handed needle? Who knew?

I agree - I can't think what would be special about a thread for paperpiecing. I use up bits and pieces of odd colors and half spools.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
if what you have been using works then why change. I don't understand a special thread for paper piecing.
That sounds like my invention - the left handed needle.
Now, that was funny - thanks for the chuckle!
Old 10-25-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
You mean all I have needed all this time for beautiful handwork is a left handed needle? Who knew?

I agree - I can't think what would be special about a thread for paperpiecing. I use up bits and pieces of odd colors and half spools.
I use regular C&C Dual Duty XP when I paper piece. No special thread needed. I don't tend to use my "expensive" threads to pp - I save these for hand piecing with my "left handed needle". Being right handed (terminally so), maybe that's why some of my handwork looks like it's done by a 5 year old! LOL

Anita
Old 10-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I have some! The description is: Dual Duty XP® thread is fine so it won’t add bulk to the seams and strong so it won’t distort when the paper is torn away. I didn't see why not to buy this thread instead of regular thread to paper piece. I had to buy thread either way. I like it and my Bernina sewed fine with it.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have some! The description is: Dual Duty XP® thread is fine so it won’t add bulk to the seams and strong so it won’t distort when the paper is torn away. I didn't see why not to buy this thread instead of regular thread to paper piece. I had to buy thread either way. I like it and my Bernina sewed fine with it.
Are the papers easier to tear away?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

I have some. It sews fine for pping. If better or not then regular thread I can't say for certain but I thought why not have a pp thread as any other thread. It cost less then my regular thread anyway. And I used it for fmq with no problem.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 PM

I just use the same thread I use for regular piecing, works fine and I do a lot of paper piecing.