Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has any one heard of this thread?

Has any one heard of this thread?

So yesterday I went to Ada on a field trip and noticed they had a quilt shop. I have never been in the store but thought I would go look around. I know I needed thread so I asked if she had my thread which is Aurifil thread she said she only had the tread kits. But carried another thread called Mettler Thread, I said I have never heard of it but bought some anyway since I needed thread. She said it was good thread and that she has used it for years. My question is "Has anyone used this thread? What kind of thread does your quilt shop carry normally?

I mainly use Aurifil but I also use Mettler which is a very good thread. If I recall correctly this is the make of thread that Bernina recommend for use with their sewing machines.

You can find Mettler in lots of independently owned quilt shops. Nice thread. I also use Prescencia thread.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Mettler was commonly sold in quilt shops before Aurifil arrived on the scene. It is still very good 100% cotton thread. I think its a little thicker than Aurifil.

I have used Mettler Silk Wrapped thread for over 20 years. It is what my Bernina dealer recommended for me to use when I bought my DSM. I have never had a problem with the thread, doing both piecing and quilting with it. I was finally able to have my baby serviced and the technician once again said it is the best thread to use on my Bernina 1530.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have used Mettler. Good results with it.

Mettler is good thread but there is no silk in it or around it. It has a silk finish.
    I love my life!

My dealer told me to use Mettler or Guitermann in my Janome. Unfortunately, it is hard to find here and the price is painful compared to Guitermann. I know my machine preferred the Mettler but my pocketbook didn't.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

It's a good thread, but more linty than Aurifil and Prescensia.
    aka Gale

Both of my LQSs carry Mettler. I found it to be pretty linty, and prefer Gutermann, which is often 50% off at JoAnn and Hancock. My favorite piecing thread is now Masterpiece.

I agree. I ran out of my aurifil and had some mettler sitting around, so I started using that. I'm not a fan because I noticed a significant increase in lint. The aurifil has almost none compared to what I'm getting off the mettler. I have also used superior so fine and I like that a lot. I recently ordered some superior king tut (should be here by Friday), and I've heard good things about that and I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

One other observation, is that the mettler seems to be thicker and stiffer. Even though I always buy 50 weight, the mettler feels thicker, and I seem to have more issues with thread breaking while FMQ (full disclosure, that could be, and probably is, user error).

If it helps, I have a bernina record 930.
    Jenny B

It is very good thread. It is what my Bernina dealer told me to use. It is thicker than Aurifil, but still good thread.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I have used Mettler Silk Wrapped thread for over 20 years. It is what my Bernina dealer recommended for me to use when I bought my DSM. I have never had a problem with the thread, doing both piecing and quilting with it. I was finally able to have my baby serviced and the technician once again said it is the best thread to use on my Bernina 1530.
    Please note, though, Mettler Silk finish thread does NOT contain any silk!! The word is a description of the shine of the finish, not content. We sold Mettler in my shop in Dallas by the bucket load and I still use the spools leftover when we closed 15 years ago. It's a German made thread that's still good.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I think Mettler is the first "shiny" thread I ever bought. They sure do have a lot of colors.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

For piecing, I use Aurifil. For blanket stitch applique, I use silk finish Mettler. It is a little thicker than Auriffil and gives the blanket stitch a little bit more dimension. Also Mettler has a lot of colors to match my applique.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have heard of Mettler thread and a fabric shop (not just a quilt shop) carries it and I get it there. I generally gravitate to that or Gutermann based on what the store has when I'm going for colors. I use Aurifil for piecing using either a beige or gray however and buy that on line.

Blog Entries
    Mettler thread has been around for many, many years. Well established company/product. Many machine dealers carry/recommend it.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I've used Mettler for 20 years and like it, but it does seem to produce lint. I'm on the verge of trying Aurifil (just ordered some) since I never have used it and I'm worried from all the info I'm reading that I'm going to like that better when I have a lot of Mettler. Maybe if that is the case I'll try Genden's idea of using Aurifil for piecing and my Mettler for applique and/or quilting.

I have always used Mettler or Gutermann thread for garment sewing and occasionally for appliqué. I have never had a problem with either. For piecing, quilting, and most appliqué, I use only Aurifil. I'm a real fan of Aurifil.

[QUOTE=huskyquilter;7187900

One other observation, is that the mettler seems to be thicker and stiffer. Even though I always buy 50 weight, the mettler feels thicker, and I seem to have more issues with thread breaking while FMQ (full disclosure, that could be, and probably is, user error).

If it helps, I have a bernina record 930.[/QUOTE]

I have both, and the Mettler 50 is much thicker. The Aurifil breaks much more easily (when snapped), so I've only used it for satin stitching so far. It looks exactly like Mettler 60-weight when satin-stitched.

I am not sure if thinner is better when piecing, in terms of sturdiness, so for that reason, plus the price, I have stayed with the Mettler. I guess I'm secretly hoping that another thread will become the next big thing, and then all those gorgeous spools of Aurifil will become more affordable.

hugs,
    Charlotte

Mettler is a good thread. I prefer Aurifil but used mettle before I found it. I think if you look at the amount on the spool and the price between the 2, Aurifil is at least in my area a better deal

I found sets of aurifil on fabric.com for a good price. I'm thinking of treating myself some time soon.

I think I will try it this time and see how it does on my sewing machine. And later on go back to what im use to, I just wanted to try it. Thanks for the comments in helping me with learning more about this thread.

I use Mettler thread all the time. It is nice thread.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast